Double Din Speaker Wires Issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kustamogen

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
Hey all, I did old school installs like 20yrs ago but it's been a while. I decided to put a new double din in my grandma's 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue. Found the antenna adapter and the wire schematic/colors online. So figured it'd be like the old days. Have it wired up for power/accessory/illumination etc (it seems those colors in the schematic were correct). But when it came to the speaker wires, all the colors are wrong/different. So I used the multimeter to try and find the pairs for each speaker and can't even find one. So tired that battery tap test with a 9V battery and couldn't get any speakers to make a sound. Super confused. Anything I can try before I take it in somewhere? Thx

If you could not get results from those two tests, then maybe there is an OEM amplifier in the way. If you have not cut out the OEM harness, then your best bet would be to buy an adapter harness specific to the car.
Quite the possibility ..it has the upgraded Bose Soundsystem in this car likely has an amp somewhere. I cut out the harness connector (left enough to reconnect if need be)...haven't found an adapter for the aftermarket unit I bought. Hmmmm sounds like this is above my pay grade lol

Quite the possibility ..it has the upgraded Bose Soundsystem in this car likely has an amp somewhere. I cut out the harness connector (left enough to reconnect if need be)...haven't found an adapter for the aftermarket unit I bought. Hmmmm sounds like this is above my pay grade lol

I searched 2001 oldsmobile intrigue radio harness and got over 100 hits on Ebay.. You can score one for 10.00 shipped or less.

I though people quit cutting factory radio harnesses up 25 years ago..

be)...haven't found an adapter for the aftermarket unit I bought. Hmmmm sounds like this is above my pay grade lol
I searched 2001 oldsmobile intrigue radio harness and got over 100 hits on Ebay.. You can score one for 10.00 shipped or less.

I though people quit cutting factory radio harnesses up 25 years ago..
I just did a search for that car with the Bose upgrade and came up blank. The ones that did pop up were for the regular radio.
Compare the harness you cut off to see if it will mate with the ones in eBay for the regular radio. If yes, then you can try it out.

I just did a search for that car with the Bose upgrade and came up blank. The ones that did pop up were for the regular radio.
Compare the harness you cut off to see if it will mate with the ones in eBay for the regular radio. If yes, then you can try it out.

There has to be one.. It's a gm vehicle after all.
Looking at Crutchfield they have a few different options too.

googled up your car with bose radio harness and top of the page was a oldsmobile forum with a huge write up on swapping head units in these.. It's a long read but it should have all your answers..

I didn't read the article, but with those GM Bose systems; either fix what needs fixing, or rip out the entire thing and start from scratch with aftermarket. After you start adding the adapters needed to do part of the system, you're spending money that would go towards better equipment. I know on the pickups and SUVs, those bose amps and speakers were also at some funky ohm rating and they wired em in series. It's something like 2.7 or 3 ohm speakers and a 6 or 8 ohm amp, that plays really low power.

GM was doing a lot of stupid things in the early 2000s to save a couple dollars and a few cents here and there, that they should have been slapped for. The accountants won a lot of decisions around this time frame and common sense lost out to saving a little money, because 90% of people wouldn't notice.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...