What are my best options????

Participant count
  • Participant list

Texas
10+ year member

Hello everyone..

I'm new to the car audio scene and am in search of advice from people with actual knowledge and firsthand experience!

Heres my situation:

I have 1000$ to spend on:

1 or 2 subwoofers

an amplifer

a wiring kit

installation ( need advice on where )

a box

My car is a 2008 Mustang Gt/Cs The subwoofer will of course be going into the trunk

I have drove my self nuts to the point to where I just want the opinion from other people on what I need to get... all the reviews on websites such as crutchfield and sonicelectronix dont really give me what im looking for..

What I'm looking for is quality and durability.. I'm not out to win any contests, I just want a solid HARD hitting system that I can be proud of.

Ive heard good things about: Orion HCCA, DC audio, Sundown audio, JL audio and a few others..

Your knowlege is what I seek !

Also I will say I want my trunk to remain clean looking, which has led me to consider using a box such as https://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/product.jsp?prodId=437&catId=130 --- problem being I dont know if this is a quality box or not, although its the look im going for, basically stock looking but able to handle a good system.

If you want to go with a sealed box like that, then you need to find subs that work well in sealed boxes. A few come to mind, depending on how much money you want to spend, power you'll need to use, and possibly a little bit of electrical upgrades like the Big 3(search for it) and a small battery in the back.

Lower budget, lower power

subs: Dayton RSS315HFA-8 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 8 Ohm | Parts-Express.com

amp: REFURB Cadence ZRS2002 1600 Watt 2-Channel Amplifier - eBay (item 290507719966 end time Dec-09-10 14:11:20 PST)

Mid budget, higher power

subs: IXL-12 v2 SL [iXL-12 v2 SL] - $169.00 : Mach 5 Audio (choose D1 coils)

amp: DTR1.1400D SOUNDSTREAM AMP 2800 W MAX SUB AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 120630520543 end time Dec-04-10 16:45:32 PST)

Higher budget, higher power

subs: https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154cfa3d74d4f5d/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0030_Q/product_overview.shopscript (choose the "high qts" and D1 options)

amp: Audioque: Amps: AQ2200D

We can go even more high-end than that, but it'd probably be breaking your budget at that point. As far as wiring kits go, knukonceptz.com has good deals a lot of the time.

Thank you for the info, I like what I'm seeing with the Fi audio subwoofers. If I were to go that route, would I be required to use a 4 gauge or a 0 gauge wiring kit? and to go along with that do websites sell kits for the big 3 upgrade, it seems fairly straight forward to install.

Definitely do 1/0 if you are going to run the AQ 2200. I'm not sure if anyone sells kits for the Big 3, but just buy ~15ft of 1/0 wire and some ring terminals and you'll be fine...you can crimp with a lot of stuff that you probably have laying around. If you have extra wire left over run another ground from the batt to the frame.

Yeah, too bad you can't make it.... it'd be a waste of your time considering your " just blew my load " statement

Still need ideas, i thought id some options by now, maybe i asked the question wrong?

If I were buying the setup, I'd choose the IXL 12's over the FI, and go with the AQ2200D. It'll save you quite a bit. $338 for the IXL's vs. $448 for the FI Q's. Not sure what the sound difference is, but that's a good amount saved. You'll need it if you're looking for a shop to do the install.

I suppose those are Mach 5 ? just a general question..... why do people on here seem to stray from brands such as JL and Rockford Fosgate? I don't know enough about the market to make any judgements but it looks to me the mass names are more of a NAME than QUALITY ?

Anyone else have any suggestions on a set up for me?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.