Welding wire users - tell me your secrets

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
I was going to buy some SHA wire that was on sale, but the CCA spool I had my eye on sold out before I was able to make a move.

Now I'm bummed and I'm reevaluating my long term plan. I was going to get a cheap 50' spool of CCA, run a line to a dual input distro block, then if I find myself needing more power I could just run a second to it. OFC CA wire is fairly expensive for some reason. I don't need crazy flexibility, as I'm pretty good with my runs, so I thought I'd inquire about welding cable. That OFC wire is like half the cost and it seems like some brands are surprisingly flexible.

So, guys who use welding wire: where do you get it and what brands/lines would you recommend for CA use?

Also, it seems like welding wire is smaller, if I'm using 1/0 CA terminals, fuse holders and distro blocks, would I need 2/0 to have it fit snugly?

Thanks

Eb welding wire. 0/2 is like car audio 0/1. It's $1.88 a ft.
Thanks. Where do you get it from?

www.wireandsupply.com
Welding wire is sized to actual AWG sizes. you can look up in the awg current draw charts and see what the appropriate size is for your application ...
That's the site I was browsing. Do they carry the EB brand? Or am I just blind? I'll probably buy the terminals locally from a hardware store or from the welding site, so that's good, I'm just worried I'll have trouble fitting them in CA sized distro blocks.

I have 2/0 eb flex wire and its surprisingly flexible for the thickness and weight and the 2/0 lugs i bought are a super tight fit for it

Edit: id also recommend going direct from the source were the make the wire http://www.electronbeam.com/ they always have sales going on i got my 2/0 for cheaper than the reg price of 1/0

Theres a small can of solder flux for the size comparison of the knot

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy all my 2/0 from a local battery shop. I work In a industrial environment and I see the abuse welding wire can go through.

Don't waste your money on CCA wire.... Been there done that.

Temco, electron beam or royal excelene wire are great!! I use 1/0 and 2/0 temco. There bout the same in size honestly. I use shca 1/0 copper lugs with both also.

Seen some royal excelene 4/0 at menards and its huge and it really did seem a lil flexible than the 1/0 2/0 temco I use...

I have 2/0 eb flex wire and its surprisingly flexible for the thickness and weight and the 2/0 lugs i bought are a super tight fit for it
Edit: id also recommend going direct from the source were the make the wire Electron Beam Technologies, Inc. they always have sales going on i got my 2/0 for cheaper than the reg price of 1/0

Theres a small can of solder flux for the size comparison of the knot

Thanks for the picture, that's some really nice stuff.

It ***** that you can't order online. I'd have to call in or email and it seems like the shipping might be a lot. It's still a option, but maybe I should check out local welding supply shops to see if there's anything comparable.

Buy all my 2/0 from a local battery shop. I work In a industrial environment and I see the abuse welding wire can go through.
Forgot this stuff is relatively big and heavy. I'll check local first

weldingsupply.com has 1/0 Red for $1.90 ft if you buy 50'. I've bought from them a few times and always been pleased with the wire. It's still pretty high strand count and flexible enough to route wherever I need it. It will be slightly smaller than car audio wire though because most ca wire is oversized. The upside is if you buy true 1/0 lugs they will actually fit.

acdcelectricparts on eBay

just bought 20' of 0 awg Royal Excelene for $44

17' of white and 3' of black

Before now, I had the Temco welding cable in 1 awg and it was flexible enough for my application. I mean I don't know anyone who actually ties knots in their wire but to each his own.

Thanks everyone for the good information. I'm leaning towards the excelene off ebay because it's $2/ft, $5 shipping to me, and it comes in white. I don't know why Knu and SH don't offer that color.

Dmac, the only thing is I'm not seeing the black listing. I have found the white, though. It'd be nice to have a different color for the ground.

Wait, if I'm getting a distro block the ground wires would be smaller gauges for each amp, right?

Thanks everyone for the good information. I'm leaning towards the excelene off ebay because it's $2/ft, $5 shipping to me, and it comes in white. I don't know why Knu and SH don't offer that color.
Dmac, the only thing is I'm not seeing the black listing. I have found the white, though. It'd be nice to have a different color for the ground.

Wait, if I'm getting a distro block the ground wires would be smaller gauges for each amp, right?
1 0 AWG Welding Battery Cable Black 600V USA Made 105C EPDM Jacket Buy per Ft | eBay

1.78 a ft with free shipping

You're welcome sir

and no you can use the same size ground wire unless the distro steps down in size

1 0 AWG Welding Battery Cable Black 600V USA Made 105C EPDM Jacket Buy per Ft | eBay
1.78 a ft with free shipping

You're welcome sir

and no you can use the same size ground wire unless the distro steps down in size
Thank you. I was looking for "excelene black" - that's why I couldn't find it.

None of the amps I'm using at the moment need or would even fit 1/0, so I'd need smaller wires for the grounds I think. I'll look around the shop you listed to see what they have, or hit up Knu if I end up getting a distro block. Since they're small amps I can get some short runs of 4 or 8 gauge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.