weird voltage adjusting gains

Participant count
  • Participant list

sam_b03
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I checked resistance for my mids read 3.8 ohms. I have a Avionix 440.4 amp. I decided I would properly set my gains. Leveled my EQ turned off the XO in the head unit. I have it bridged so according to specs it should be 220x2 at 4 ohms. using the sqrt(V x R) formula I came up with 29.66. I turned my HU up to 35 of 40 (at previous setting cruising volume was 20-24 and 15 or so with a passenger so we could talk). With gains turned completely down I was reading 2.9v. The amp would go into protection mode when I would get to 15 or so volts. With was with a 1000hz tone. BTW I have 3 way component set and the 6.5 is not on the XO it gets direct power from the amp. So on the 50hz tone it was going I could test from there. It was reading 10.3V on the low frequence.I am guess because of the lack of load from the other speakers. I set the high frequence at 7.5 per side.

My sub wired in 2 ohm on a MB Quart ONX 1500.1 set using the formula came up wit 44.72. It was nearly maxing out the gain knob. It sounded a little distorted so I backed off to 36 volts. The sub was pretty close.

This in my DD so no secondary battery. With engine off there was 10.8 to the amps. With engine on it was holding 13.6 steady with the 50hz tone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.