Weird Problem with No Sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

Brandon407

Hello, I have been trying to fix this problem for weeks and I have come to a dead end. I installed a 12" Boston Competition speaker with a 500 watt Boss amp. It actually thumped really hard. It hit harder than most cars with two 12's. One month goes by and the sub stopped hitting, no sound at all will come from it. I checked all the fuses and visually inspected the wires, everything was good. I assumed my amp was fried. I bought a Pioneer 820 watt amp, hooked everything up and no sound still. Then I went to Best Buy and bought the $24.99 kicker RCA cables, went out to the parking lot, hooked it up to the head unit and amp, still no sound. I returned the cables and bought a new head unit, attached all the wires and still no sound from the subwoofer. I know that the remote wire is working because the amp light does come on when I start the truck. I don't understand why it would just cut out while I was driving and I can't get it working again. I touched the hot wire to the ground wire and it sparks so the ground is good and I have power. I even connected my brothers subwoofer from his car to the amp and no sound came from it either.

If you have ANY suggestion, please give them to me. I have tried everything that I can think of. Thanks.

I was going to say your sub was probably blown. But if you tried your brothers then that can't be the case. Are you sure your ground is making a good connection to the frame? It should be sanded down and bolted down properly. One other thing I can think of is if your headunit was swapped in and out, some lose their memory when disconnected from power. And some radios require you to turn the sub "on". Are you sure it is on and are you sure you have the rca's plugged into the "sub" white and red ports on the back of the radio? Also make sure the rca's are plugged into the "in" on the amp.

I was going to say your sub was probably blown. But if you tried your brothers then that can't be the case. Are you sure your ground is making a good connection to the frame? It should be sanded down and bolted down properly. One other thing I can think of is if your headunit was swapped in and out, some lose their memory when disconnected from power. And some radios require you to turn the sub "on". Are you sure it is on and are you sure you have the rca's plugged into the "sub" white and red ports on the back of the radio? Also make sure the rca's are plugged into the "in" on the amp.
Yup, It's a 2 channel amp, only has one red and one white. The back of the head unit only has one output connection as well. I also went into settings and turned on the subwoofer output.

Hello, I have been trying to fix this problem for weeks and I have come to a dead end. I installed a 12" Boston Competition speaker with a 500 watt Boss amp. It actually thumped really hard. It hit harder than most cars with two 12's. One month goes by and the sub stopped hitting, no sound at all will come from it. I checked all the fuses and visually inspected the wires, everything was good. I assumed my amp was fried. I bought a Pioneer 820 watt amp, hooked everything up and no sound still. Then I went to Best Buy and bought the $24.99 kicker RCA cables, went out to the parking lot, hooked it up to the head unit and amp, still no sound. I returned the cables and bought a new head unit, attached all the wires and still no sound from the subwoofer. I know that the remote wire is working because the amp light does come on when I start the truck. I don't understand why it would just cut out while I was driving and I can't get it working again. I touched the hot wire to the ground wire and it sparks so the ground is good and I have power. I even connected my brothers subwoofer from his car to the amp and no sound came from it either.
If you have ANY suggestion, please give them to me. I have tried everything that I can think of. Thanks.
What amp are you using right now? I can think of a few different things...

Check that the amp (if it has this setting) is set to Master, not slave.

Which headunit are you using? (some headunits have multiple subwoofer settings you need to turn on)

Ground wire is lose or not connected properly (where is it connected?)

Check all these first

What amp are you using right now? I can think of a few different things...
Check that the amp (if it has this setting) is set to Master, not slave.

Which headunit are you using? (some headunits have multiple subwoofer settings you need to turn on)

Ground wire is lose or not connected properly (where is it connected?)

Check all these first
820 Watt Pioneer. I don't think there is a master/slave switch on this one but I've tried it with the switches in every possible way.

The settings in my head unit were Subwoofer on or off, Subwoofer Gain and something else. I enabled all of them.

I'm pretty sure I'm grounded good, if I touched the hot to the ground wire and get a spark, it's grounded, right?

820 Watt Pioneer. I don't think there is a master/slave switch on this one but I've tried it with the switches in every possible way.The settings in my head unit were Subwoofer on or off, Subwoofer Gain and something else. I enabled all of them.

I'm pretty sure I'm grounded good, if I touched the hot to the ground wire and get a spark, it's grounded, right?
Get a voltage meter, test the RCA's with it. It's probably the headunit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.