Weird power rating for my D5 300.4

Participant count
  • Participant list

sibanez
10+ year member

Total noob situation, but Google and site search aren't helping so I figured I'd reach out to everyone on the board. My brother-in-law sold me his Diamond D5 300.4 and I'm getting ready to do a basic install with it in my Tacoma. I have a few questions about the power output and was hoping somebody could help.

The manual from Diamond Audio has these power specs for the 300.4:

CONTINUOUS RMS OUTPUT POWER

Note: Full Rated Power is generated at all voltages between 11 and 14.5VDC.

37.5W x 4 @ 4 Ohm Stereo

75W x 4 @ 2 Ohm Stereo

150W x 2 Bridged @ 4 Ohms

(minimum impedance)

I guess I'm trying to find out a few things:

1) The owner of my local sound shop is confident that the D5 300.4 will power my new Focal Polyglass 165V1s. The nominal power handling of the Focals is 70W and the max is 140W so this sounds a little low to me. I don't want to damage these speakers since I bought them from an authorized dealer; the 'nicest' speakers I have installed to date were some Polk MMs so I'm a little nervous.

2) Everyone I have talked to in the 'know' is surprised by the power rating since the D5 is supposed to be a higher quality amp. Anyone have experience running these?

Thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.