Weird car audio problem question!

Participant count
  • Participants list

Goodie2shoes17

Hey, recently bought a car and it has a Pioneer DEH-1300MP head unit in it and I believe stock speakers all around. Basically I want to know if you guys think my speakers are bad or if something is up with the wiring or even the head unit?

When I turn up the volume (not real loud) the speakers basically sound like you're getting poor radio reception (not quite like clipping) but when I fade the sound to the rear the problem goes away mostly (I can turn it up higher). Also, the problem is more prominent with the mid and treble, bass seems totally fine (like I said, doesn't really sound like clipping, more just like poor radio reception or like a sound cable that's going bad, even if on cd or aux). So I'm thinking it's the wiring, but wasn't sure if that accounts for the bass being fine with all of the speakers (no aftermarket subwoofer).

Any response appreciated!

It's a good possibility that if you pull that headunit out you'll find bare wires probably just poorly wrapped with cheap electrical tape.... Sounds as if one of your speakers is arcing causing the fuzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, thanks for the replies guys! Sorry, I was expecting some sort of alert that people responded and never got one so didn't know you guys responded! That being said, it is a 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4. And yes, I just took it out and it looks like the person who installed it just did a terrible job (I think I might have even separated one of the splices the guy did taking the head unit out!) The only wiring I've ever really done is putting a Alpine KTP-445u amp in my old car, which was as simple as matching the colors exactly and splicing the wires. I'm not sure if there should be some wiring harness to put in an aftermarket head unit and this guy didn't? Or if there's some easy way to know what wires go with which. Also, there are 3 wires all by themselves taped off, and a white/black and grey/black wires are both spliced to like a red/brown wire. I'm trying to upload pics but it's not working right now. I'll post this and keep trying. Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.