Weird but important question. Please respond if you can

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jakerrr
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
On my last car before I got rid of it my friend messed up the headunit (and I could no longer listen to music) when he touched the leads of a taser to the aux chord... He didn't actually press the discharge button on the taser but it had a tiny bit of residual current/voltage from the last firing. The headunit went blank and I assume it broke, I threw it out eventually.

Ok, now for the question. This has been bugging me like crazy because I'm having a box made for my new car so I can put my amplifier and sub in it. (06zx1000.1, SA-15) It's the same amp and sub that was hooked up when the taser touched the aux chord in my old car.

***Do you guys think it was only the headunit that blew as a result of this or could it have done damage to the amp as well? The amp is protected by the fuse right? Please somebody respond this is really bothering me. Thanks.

I was just wondering if anyone who knew a lot about the physics and such of a system could make an educated guess as to whether a small zap or too high an input voltage at the aux chord would have the capacity to destroy anything beyond the head unit. Because I don't want to pay all the money to get it installed only for it to not work. I would think the subwoofer would be fine (they can survive after being wall socketed), but the amp I'm not so sure. Is there any way to see ahead of time like just connecting a 4 gauge wire to the amp, 1 strand from battery pos or neg and 1 from ground?

Most amps should have protection circuits to keep them safe from anything that could happen from an odd input signal. More than likely you roasted your head unit before it could do any harm downstream in the signal chain.

To be certain..take the amp and have it tested at a local car audio shop..prob cost you like $20-30 bucks, or telling the story as you have done here and they may charge nothing at all,if you dont know how o test it yourself.DC Electrical currents do strange things.No one can be certain of 100% what it can or cannot do unless you have the equipment to test it and knowledge to do so,such as an electrical engineer.Get it tested,or test it yourself if you have the ability too.

To be certain..take the amp and have it tested at a local car audio shop..prob cost you like $20-30 bucks, or telling the story as you have done here and they may charge nothing at all,if you dont know how o test it yourself.DC Electrical currents do strange things.No one can be certain of 100% what it can or cannot do unless you have the equipment to test it and knowledge to do so,such as an electrical engineer.Get it tested,or test it yourself if you have the ability too.
I'm headed to the audio shop now. I would think it could've fried via the rca's but hopefully not. I'm about to find out

i think the amp will test out fine myself..but,,,you never know with electronics man..one day they work excellent/test out fine, next day or even couple hours they balls up

i think the amp will test out fine myself..but,,,you never know with electronics man..one day they work excellent/test out fine, next day or even couple hours they balls up
I just dropped it off they charge $15 for a bench test I guess they'll call me today or tomorrow

Results: it works fine. What a relief... Just thought I'd let y'all know *just in case anyone else has this exact problem* lol
Good deal there man..I deff wouldnt let that friend in the car next time..Id make him view from the curb!An honest and good friend would pay for a new HU along with the testing results /money spent on the testing of the amp as well.Best of luck on your new install sir

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.