Waxing yo box ;)

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Ok, so it is generally accepted that coating the inside of your box with resin makes it smoother, so air can move easier, and you generally gain on the meter.

Some people say to also wax the inside of your box after you coat it with resin.

My question is, what kind of wax? The two types of wax I was thinking of are:

1. Automotive paint wax, that you would use to wax your car.

2. Scented candle.

The two types are very different. Automotive wax might work the best, but it's got a weird smell. Candle wax would be awesome. I would just rub it on, not melt it. There would be a bonus of an air freshener //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

What do yall' think about waxing the box?

Bro glassing and wax is worth .10db if anything. You could lose doing it.if just daily wood glue and silicone for no air leaks will be fine. Unless ur chasing tenths on he meter

Ok, so it is generally accepted that coating the inside of your box with resin makes it smoother, so air can move easier, and you generally gain on the meter.
Some people say to also wax the inside of your box after you coat it with resin.

My question is, what kind of wax? The two types of wax I was thinking of are:

1. Automotive paint wax, that you would use to wax your car.

2. Scented candle.

The two types are very different. Automotive wax might work the best, but it's got a weird smell. Candle wax would be awesome. I would just rub it on, not melt it. There would be a bonus of an air freshener //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

What do yall' think about waxing the box?
i would just glass it. ive never heard of anyone losing on the meter from glassing. Also i guess the gain for it depends, i had a teammate do it his box, test it with out resin and then test it with resin(same box both times) and he gained .2-.3 10ths. I did it and gained a couple of 10ths as well(no our boxes were not leaking). It also adds efficiency you could say because the air moves smoother in the box. I was told it kind of adds a sort of bracing to it(not sure about that but i was told that)

Bro glassing and wax is worth .10db if anything. You could lose doing it.if just daily wood glue and silicone for no air leaks will be fine. Unless ur chasing tenths on he meter
Right, but I've got about 8 gallons of resin sitting in my garage. What else am I going to do with it?

I bought 10 gallons of resin when I was going to glass the entire inside of my car. Carpet, ceiling, ect.

I wax my girlfriend's box, she says it makes things better.
Lmao, kinda implied sexual things with the winky face. Knew somebody would take it that way

i would just glass it. ive never heard of anyone losing on the meter from glassing. Also i guess the gain for it depends, i had a teammate do it his box, test it with out resin and then test it with resin(same box both times) and he gained .2-.3 10ths. I did it and gained a couple of 10ths as well(no our boxes were not leaking). It also adds efficiency you could say because the air moves smoother in the box. I was told it kind of adds a sort of bracing to it(not sure about that but i was told that)
I haven't heard of anyone losing on the meter either

Do you really think any of that will make an audible difference?
No, but I've got the resin, so why not?

Might meter a couple tenths higher if I ever go to a show

If you guys say it won't make a difference, I won't resin and wax it
you wont here a difference but the meter may notice it lol.. if you got why not like you said. i wish i had a gallon sitting around for when i build my next box lol

Unless you're burping there isn't much airflow anyway. There's alot of pressure but not really airflow. That's the reason people put **** in the port and watch it move around in there. If it was airflow, what ever they put in the port would just shoot out.

Unless you're burping there isn't much airflow anyway. There's alot of pressure but not really airflow. That's the reason people put **** in the port and watch it move around in there. If it was airflow, what ever they put in the port would just shoot out.
makes since... i still resin mine though lol. i guess depending its just user preference

you wont here a difference but the meter may notice it lol.. if you got why not like you said. i wish i had a gallon sitting around for when i build my next box lol
If you were local, I'd let you have some for free

Try the box out and if it's good the resin it. It could sound like crap and you want to rip it out
Well, that's true. I just coated my port in red dyed resin, and will be uploading a pic to my build log shortly

There's still a lot of airflow. I want to demo music in the 20's full tilt

It's not gonna hurt it at all. Just don't waste your time with 45s
Too late... already added a 45

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.