watts??

Participant count
  • Participant list

king13028
10+ year member

nc
hi

i have question, if i have a 400 watt amp with 4 channels (100 watts pre channel), does that mean i can only hook up to 100 watts per channel? if not how much more can i go ? i was hoping that i can hook 2 12" sub up they are 180 watts pre sub should the sub work fine? how much mor can i hook up to my amp?

Originally posted by king13028 hi

i have question, if i have a 400 watt amp with 4 channels (100 watts pre channel), does that mean i can only hook up to 100 watts per channel? if not how much more can i go ? i was hoping that i can hook 2 12" sub up they are 180 watts pre sub should the sub work fine? how much mor can i hook up to my amp?
Should work fine.... if you like you can bridge two of the channels together and run each sub off of the two......will dbl the power output (for the most part) and you will enjoy the sound you get a lil better

ok cool ..... butt how much more can i hook up to my amp? (just if i would like to go bigger)and how much will each channel hander. let say i would like to put 2 700 watt sub will i stell be fine?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif or is that to much?

Originally posted by king13028 ok cool ..... butt how much more can i hook up to my amp? (just if i would like to go bigger)and how much will each channel hander. let say i would like to put 2 700 watt sub will i stell be fine?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif or is that to much?
Hmmmm..... Ok here goes....Your speakers have no affect on the amps rating aside from the load or ohms rating they put on it. You can have a speaker rated at 1000watts and run it fine with a 100 watt amp.....Will it sound as good? Not nearly. Will it still operate and play music? Yes just at a much lower level. This is the reason, or part of it, why manufacturers give rms and peak handling capabilities. It allows people to determine which amp will be best for which sub etc..... It matters greatly on what type of amp you have as to what type of sub or how many subs you want to hook up and run and not end up frying an amp or blowing a speaker. It would be best if you already had one or the other (subs or amp) so that it would be easiest to go from there and determine the way the subs are wired to the amp and what it can be capable of handling and doing.

so lets see if i unstand this............ i can have a 400 watts amp and 2 12" sub that are 1000 watts each and it should work fine i just cant crank on it right or im mising something?

Originally posted by king13028 so lets see if i unstand this............ i can have a 400 watts amp and 2 12" sub that are 1000 watts each and it should work fine i just cant crank on it right or im mising something?
Basically......you can crank on it to the point of distortion (which the speakers will hit much faster than they do go loud)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.