watts per amps ?

Participant count
  • Participant list
idk, theres always that guy that'll have the formula to figure it out.

I, Personally won't wanna run more than 2000rms on any stock alternator safely. So, i'd say 2k with good battery power.

It depends on how much your car uses. Do you have power windows, A/C, navigation, etc? Many factors make a difference including efficiency of the amp. A/B amps will be far less efficient

well ill be running a jl slash 1000watt a double din deck and the normal ac and power windows. but would like to upgrade to a larger amp maybe 3k to push some sundown z's maybe . just wondering before i buy currently thinking of running 2 sa15's off the jl which electrical should be plenty for that

thansk for everyones input ill run my 1000watts for now with big 3 and a batt in the trunk until i upgrade alt i this system isnt loud enough

It depends on how much your car uses. Do you have power windows, A/C, navigation, etc? Many factors make a difference including efficiency of the amp. A/B amps will be far less efficient
also depends on the battery and how efficient the amp is....i run 2k on just a single batt and 120 amp alt

the equation you want is called Ohm's Law. my sig has the equation.

to figure out current drawn at a given amplifier power output you need to know the amplifiers efficiency at that power level. You also need to know battery voltage (which varies car on/off and changes with voltage drop from load)

Wattage (output) / Efficiency (%) = Power input.

Current drawn = Power input / Battery voltage

If 80% efficient.

1000/.8 = 1250 Watt consumed

if 13.5VDC

1250/13.5 = 92.6 A DC

but that current would only be for an instant with music. Average music power is MUCH less than Peak music power (the difference is referred to as Crest Factor in dB).

simply put - a good front battery is important to maintain >12.6 VDC.

a high output alternator is required to maintain >14 VDC

size of the alternator depends on the load and habits.

I recommend you have a volt meter installed in the dash so you can monitor battery voltage. if it ever drops below 12.3 VDC you should turn the volume down and let the batteries recharge.

yea i know ohms law i jsut wanted opinions on what has been done before. not to worried about amp frying can put out 1000watts at 11votls . and if alt fries well thats my dumb fault //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif excellent formulas and info hope appreciate your input . i should be doing well with a batt in trunk and 1000watts on stock setup :p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.