Wanted to improve my Audio Setup for Thar 2021

Hey Guys, I also want to upgrade the stock systems in the Thar 2021 to something new. Any options as the stores in Pune keep throwing different boxes of which I have no idea. Is there a starting point?

Hey Guys, I also want to upgrade the stock systems in the Thar 2021 to something new. Any options as the stores in Pune keep throwing different boxes of which I have no idea. Is there a starting point?
I don’t think your setup looks too bad except that head unit and maybe a better 4 channel amplifier, but I wouldn’t even change that until you get a better source unit or a DSP. The subwoofer isn’t going to give you a lot of bass, but it should add a little thump. I fast forwarded to the audio section on that video and the head unit doesn’t look very impressive. How did the shop hook the amps to that head unit?

Hi Deepak, I am also based in Pune itself. Feel free to reach me at +91.9325487506.

I don’t think your setup looks too bad except that head unit and maybe a better 4 channel amplifier, but I wouldn’t even change that until you get a better source unit or a DSP. The subwoofer isn’t going to give you a lot of bass, but it should add a little thump. I fast forwarded to the audio section on that video and the head unit doesn’t look very impressive. How did the shop hook the amps to that head unit?
Thanks a lot for your inputs @SlugButter. I will need to check how amp was connected to head unit and will respond back. So a Amp/DSP combo to replace the current amp will probably be the best fix as i understood. Really appreciate the help.

What amp/dsp combo would you recommend for fixing it? I think if Bluetooth is going right into the amp/dsp rather than through the OEM head unit, that would also help a lot in the quality for the hi-res audio isn't it?

Thanks a lot for your inputs @SlugButter. I will need to check how amp was connected to head unit and will respond back. So a Amp/DSP combo to replace the current amp will probably be the best fix as i understood. Really appreciate the help.

What amp/dsp combo would you recommend for fixing it? I think if Bluetooth is going right into the amp/dsp rather than through the OEM head unit, that would also help a lot in the quality for the hi-res audio isn't it?
OEM source unit may be a weak link regardless of what you put upstream from it. I'm not a big fan of the Alpine Type S lineup but the Rs are quite nice IMO.

More importantly is good mounting locations for your front speakers. Sealing and sound deadening locations is critical to give you good midbass and generally speaking just the aiming of them towards your listening position can make a dramatic difference. This can turn into a big job, especially if you try to build custom mounting pods to better aim your speakers so it may be impractical for someone who isn't comfortable with fabrication. I think that will be your biggest hurdle here. The most expensive component speakers put in a poor location will never sound as good as just average speakers in optimum locations.

Assuming your amp powers up and provides enough power I would not replace that. There are many reasons you may choose to buy a premium brand amp over a cheap one but you almost certainly won't hear the difference apart from which has more or less power.

OEM source unit may be a weak link regardless of what you put upstream from it. I'm not a big fan of the Alpine Type S lineup but the Rs are quite nice IMO.

More importantly is good mounting locations for your front speakers. Sealing and sound deadening locations is critical to give you good midbass and generally speaking just the aiming of them towards your listening position can make a dramatic difference. This can turn into a big job, especially if you try to build custom mounting pods to better aim your speakers so it may be impractical for someone who isn't comfortable with fabrication. I think that will be your biggest hurdle here. The most expensive component speakers put in a poor location will never sound as good as just average speakers in optimum locations.

Assuming your amp powers up and provides enough power I would not replace that. There are many reasons you may choose to buy a premium brand amp over a cheap one but you almost certainly won't hear the difference apart from which has more or less power.
@hispls what would your recommendation be for the best component speakers for the front and rear. I had another old car, where I can install the speakers in and upgrade these speakers in this car. Also will try to eliminate the need for the head unit by feeding the signal directly into the amp/dsp. Not sure what amp/dsp will be the best suitable here. Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

I know this is a tough and subjective question - Should i replace my component speakers from Alpine S Series to something else as I am going to redo the audio. If so what would be a very good component speakers for clarity. Someone recommend the Morel Hybrid 602's to me. Are these the best bets or would you suggest something else?

the best component speakers for the front and rear.
Honestly anything in the 300$ an up (in USA markets) price point should all sound very nice given good mounting locations. Currently I'm running JBL sets in 2 of my vehicles and my brother's car and CDT in my big build.

Is a 1200$ set of components better than a 300$ set? Probably, is it 4X better, definitely not. Will you even hear the difference? Possibly, probably moreso if you provide optimum mounting locations, EQ settings, Time Alignment, etc. for both. Just throwing expensive speakers in factory holes with no other work is definitely not going to be your silver bullet for studio quality sound though I can promise you.

I have not used any of the modern DPSs but I have never read any bad reports on any of them, so apart from features and personal preference for user interface I don't think any of them will be a problem or do anything special that the others won't do. There should be half a dozen of them all around the same price point, roll a dice, flip a coin, go with whichever is easiest to get local to you or whichever has the prettiest girls in their marketing and you'll probably be fine once you figure out how to use it and dial everything in to your liking.

Finally I do NOT generally run rear speakers. I would advise investing that money into better components or more preparation into the front locations. IMO using rears adds nothing except more possible troubles with acoustics with all sound waves having different points of origin from your listening position. Generally speaking less is more if you are trying to build a realistic soundstage/stereo effect. I would ONLY consider using rear/side channels if I were listening to material (like DVDs) which are recorded to be reproduced in surround sound.

Honestly anything in the 300$ an up (in USA markets) price point should all sound very nice given good mounting locations. Currently I'm running JBL sets in 2 of my vehicles and my brother's car and CDT in my big build.

Is a 1200$ set of components better than a 300$ set? Probably, is it 4X better, definitely not. Will you even hear the difference? Possibly, probably moreso if you provide optimum mounting locations, EQ settings, Time Alignment, etc. for both. Just throwing expensive speakers in factory holes with no other work is definitely not going to be your silver bullet for studio quality sound though I can promise you.

I have not used any of the modern DPSs but I have never read any bad reports on any of them, so apart from features and personal preference for user interface I don't think any of them will be a problem or do anything special that the others won't do. There should be half a dozen of them all around the same price point, roll a dice, flip a coin, go with whichever is easiest to get local to you or whichever has the prettiest girls in their marketing and you'll probably be fine once you figure out how to use it and dial everything in to your liking.

Finally I do NOT generally run rear speakers. I would advise investing that money into better components or more preparation into the front locations. IMO using rears adds nothing except more possible troubles with acoustics with all sound waves having different points of origin from your listening position. Generally speaking less is more if you are trying to build a realistic soundstage/stereo effect. I would ONLY consider using rear/side channels if I were listening to material (like DVDs) which are recorded to be reproduced in surround sound.
very well explained and love your response @hispls. can i ask what JBL's are you currently running ? I guess i love you idea to have only Front speakers, I guess best to have a 3 way component speaker in Front and only woofers in the rear to set a nice stage?

can i ask what JBL's are you currently running ?
Got some Stadium 6x8s in my F250 and GTO609c in my Corolla and in my brother's Civic. I don't know if you can still find the 609c out there but they perform extremely well for the <150$ price point we bought them at.

I do also like 3 way fronts. Currently using CDT 3 way sets in my Jeep.

Got some Stadium 6x8s in my F250 and GTO609c in my Corolla and in my brother's Civic. I don't know if you can still find the 609c out there but they perform extremely well for the <150$ price point we bought them at.

I do also like 3 way fronts. Currently using CDT 3 way sets in my Jeep.
oh cool.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...