Voltage VS Current/Amperage?

Wootmaster500

Wi
Hello,

I'm new here. So hi. I just have a stupid question I have been unable to find an answer for anywhere.

My buddy told me that if I have too little of alternator power that even if my voltage at the amp is reading good the amp could be seeing too little of power and could actually blow.

So for example I have a 370amp alt now, and unfortunately cannot fit a second one in at all. I also have a pretty beastly battery bank and when I run my sub my voltage doesn't drop below 13.8. That is a reading with an SMD volt meter right off the amp so it is accurate. However he states even though my vpltage is pretty high that it is still damaging my amp since it calls for more amperage than 370.

Is he correct? Or am I able to supplement it with my battery reserve?

Obviously more alt power is better but I am limited entirely unfortunately.

Thanks in Advance!!!

@Wootmaster500; This can depend on how much power you're running. What amp are you running? I would say he's false bc your beastly battery bank is making up for it. Unless you're running way more power than you should be. Watch out for over heating and clipping. You'll be fine as long as you set your gains correctly and know your limits.

Hello,
I'm new here. So hi. I just have a stupid question I have been unable to find an answer for anywhere.

My buddy told me that if I have too little of alternator power that even if my voltage at the amp is reading good the amp could be seeing too little of power and could actually blow.

So for example I have a 370amp alt now, and unfortunately cannot fit a second one in at all. I also have a pretty beastly battery bank and when I run my sub my voltage doesn't drop below 13.8. That is a reading with an SMD volt meter right off the amp so it is accurate. However he states even though my vpltage is pretty high that it is still damaging my amp since it calls for more amperage than 370.

Is he correct? Or am I able to supplement it with my battery reserve?

Obviously more alt power is better but I am limited entirely unfortunately.

Thanks in Advance!!!
The way batteries work is that if they're holding a strong voltage they still have plenty of stored energy. I'd hazard to guess that if you're not even dropping below 13V you're not even using more current than your alternator can produce (or at least not for very long) since your batteries should be resting mid 12V to low 13V.

I'd say your observed voltage indicates your electrical is strong enough for what you're doing but why not post what you have for an amp, what impedance you're running, and what electrical upgrades you have and get some feedback as to where that stacks up with the experience of others.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I have a DC audio 10k at 1ohm, on a CES 370 alt amp, with big 3, 4 runs from front to back, and dual inputs on the triple inputs of the amp. I just got it installed and have only played with it a bit. I know that the 10k will pull more than what my alt can produce for sure.

My main concern is hurting the amp, so far my voltage has remained pretty good but I was told that even if it reads 14 volts the amp could be getting underpowered.

My only choice really is to increase my battery bank size, but based on what my friend says all the batteries in the world might not be enough since my alt is too small.

If you are at even 13v that is plenty high enough voltage

I ran my 5k with a 90a alt, just had to go easy on the volume to not drop too low under 12v and you should back off the volume

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I have a DC audio 10k at 1ohm, on a CES 370 alt amp, with big 3, 4 runs from front to back, and dual inputs on the triple inputs of the amp. I just got it installed and have only played with it a bit. I know that the 10k will pull more than what my alt can produce for sure.

My main concern is hurting the amp, so far my voltage has remained pretty good but I was told that even if it reads 14 volts the amp could be getting underpowered.

My only choice really is to increase my battery bank size, but based on what my friend says all the batteries in the world might not be enough since my alt is too small.
Put a voltmeter directly on the amp inputs, and put it in your dash. Simple, don't overthink it, don't let the voltage drop below 12v and if it does turn the substage down. If you need more power get 2-4 banks of caps and I bet you'll be happy with it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.