Voltage Drop with optima yellow top

mybrohshi5
10+ year member

So i just tested my battery voltage.

When running it displayed at 14.7 - 14.9 v

i let it run for a couple minutes then shut my truck off

When not running it displayed at 12.00 v then steadily dropped to about 11.6 v

Why is my voltage dropping like this. do i need a new battery? i just got it about 3 months ago from auto zone. should i go have them check it?

well i needed a new batt cause my old one died and auto zone was close and thats what they sold that were better than the other ones they had. i get that they arent the best compared to some other batts but that doesnt help solve my problem =(

Both of my amps and deck shut off, i dont have any interior lights on or my neons on. i didnt set my alarm after testing so that shouldnt be draining it.

Should i unhook everything except the stock truck wiring and see if my voltage stays up then? How can i find whats draining my batt?

Ok so i unhooked all the wiring except for the 2 stock wires that hook up to the pos on the batt and the two stock wires that hook up to the neg on the batt.

i started my truck and let it run for a few mins and it was charging at 14.5-14.6 v.

after i shut off the truck it dropped down immediately to 11.8-11.9 v then started decreasing by 0.1 v from there down to about 11.6 v again.

so does this mean something from my stock electrical system is draining my battery or does it mean that my battery isnt holding a charge?

The battery is only about 3 or 4 months old.

Its a digital multimeter.

I will go to auto zone and have them load test my battery to see if its bad or not.

Thanks everyone

Pull your battery out. Charge it. Then test it. If it's still doing that, get a load test done on it. Autozone's load tester is a piece of ****. Go to a real battery place and have them test it
Don't have a charger at my house down here in AZ cause im here for college. I will take it to a battery place and have them test it and see what they say. I figured autozone's ****** after watchin steve meades vid of that haha. funny sh*t.

What is a real battery place btw? like any names of places to help give me an idea. thanks

Well i drove to the mall today (about 45 mins worth of driving) i didn't bump my stereo about the last 15 min so that my alt would really charge my batt without much stress pullin on it.

I just measure my voltage (about 2 hours after driving) and its resting at 12.54v now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif so idk why it was dropping to 11.6 but its all fine..... at least for now haha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.