Very little bass with trunk closed

MoparMan
10+ year member

I just installed my 10" Pioneer sub(which I have mounted in a sealed enclosure) and Jensen amp into my car(1997 Intrepid). The amp is running bridged to the sub giving it 166 watts rms power. After hooking it all up I closed the trun and turned it on to see how it would sound and to my dissappointment I could hardly hear or feel the bass from it!! I opened the trunk and then I could actually feel and hear it, not really hard or loud but deffinately noticeable.

So for some reason my trunk is killing the output of my sub when it's closed. This same setup sounded awsome in my old Daytona-which was a hatchback-which I can understand why because it was a hatchback

My question is this, how do I get all or at least most of my bass back out of this sub? Should I build a ported box/port the one I have or just mount the sub free-air style against the back seat? Or maybe build a bigger box???

put the box at the very back of your trunk with the subs facing towards the back. could just be transfer function. if it sounds loud when the trunk is open, and sounds hella not loud when you're in the car/trunk closed, you most likely have it like right behind the seats and thats exactly what will happen

check the phasing this is common symptoms of a woofer bring out of phase. ie.. flip the poitive and negitive on the woofer bx and see if that helps.

I have a friend that has the same problem.. in his honda lude he's got a PPI C1 12" in a ported box and a Vibe220 400watt amp to power it. when the trunk is open the sub pounds and is very loud, but when the trunk is closed you cant hear any of the bass at all and does not sound like its on at all, and then he would pull the trunk lock and it feels like the wind gets knocked out of you as the bass hits. we have tryed a lot of things like different positions and the box face'ing different ways. Even when he drops the back seat down you still can not hear any bass at all. you can only see the cone of the sub going ape SH1t but no sound comming from it. then he opens the trunk and it hits. what does he need to do to fix this problem. its driving us MAD!!!

hi cut 2 5'' or bigger holes at the back window betwen the top of the seat and the window just like a big ported box:) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif it will worck i did it.

first of all drop that piece of **** jensen and pick up somthing better.then if its still the same i would reposition the box that can make a huge diffrence.if you like sq keep the sealed but if you like it to be loud make a ported.

well i dont know why that guy is suggesting jensen......i'd take cheap rf punch subs over jensen.....probably cheaper as well.....anyways....get more power and that'll solve alot of your problems

jensen sub's are not that bad with ported boxes:nono: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif :nono: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.