Upgrading my budget system [Help Wanted] 6/29/2016

just cone area basically how loud you can get
However with the enclosure, you only have 12 height. subtract wood thickness which is 1.5 because top and bottom thickness is 0.75 each with 3/4 ply or mdf. and you only have 10.5 inches left so fitting a 12 is a no go with that height. You pick the sub size that works best to your space to get the best enclosure design possible. Not whether you want to run 12s or not.

watch the video and see what it takes to build the box under the seat.
I watched the video, and That looks like something I'd be interested in It's just whether or not I want the subs to be right there for people to damage. I would love to do something with 10's but do I really need two 10's? I do want the bass to get loud and rattle the car but Wouldn't one high wattage and quality 10" be just as good as two decent 10"?

I watched the video, and That looks like something I'd be interested in It's just whether or not I want the subs to be right there for people to damage. I would love to do something with 10's but do I really need two 10's? I do want the bass to get loud and rattle the car but Wouldn't one high wattage and quality 10" be just as good as two decent 10"?
higher wattage just means how much more it can handle. Motor structure and overall woofer design plays a bigger role in efficiency aka the ability to get loud. You have enough airspace for two 10s and two lower powered but still of decent quality 10s will be a lot louder than 1 high rms 10 if both were given proper box designs. Cone area helps with output a lot.

this is the true difference between the sizes of subs. Its a rough estimate because the actual caculation for cone area is different, but you can use that as a reference. two 10s usually louder than one 12 and definitly louder than 1 10.

245E4C0B-503D-4E33-93BD-24BE279ACAE4-2621-000000FAC4095EA4_zps26770e5e.jpg

this is the true difference between the sizes of subs. Its a rough estimate because the actual caculation for cone area is different, but you can use that as a reference. two 10s usually louder than one 12 and definitly louder than 1 10.
245E4C0B-503D-4E33-93BD-24BE279ACAE4-2621-000000FAC4095EA4_zps26770e5e.jpg
I see, so doesn't wattage and quality of sub have a factor in this as well..?

I see, so doesn't wattage and quality of sub have a factor in this as well..?
yeah but cone area does a lot as well. usually always get louder with two sub if both were in proper boxes on the same power. lets say you have two sundown SA 10s and one sundown X 10 both on 1500 watts. The two 10s will be louder by far even though the quality of the single 10 is far better. Thats how much a difference cone area makes.

However if you dont have the space and the subs are suffocating then yes fewer subs will work out better. You choose subs based on your available cubic feet and the amount of power you are willing to run which YOU havent even stated yet lol.

yeah but cone area does a lot as well. usually always get louder with two sub if both were in proper boxes on the same power. lets say you have two sundown SA 10s and one sundown X 10 both on 1500 watts. The two 10s will be louder by far even though the quality of the single 10 is far better. Thats how much a difference cone area makes.

However if you dont have the space and the subs are suffocating then yes fewer subs will work out better. You choose subs based on your available cubic feet and the amount of power you are willing to run which YOU havent even stated yet lol.
Alright so that said, how do I start? I would assume I have to build the box in my truck and then measure the space? Which I would have absolutely no idea how to measure that since it's being built around my back seat. After that pick subs based on that?

Alright so that said, how do I start? I would assume I have to build the box in my truck and then measure the space? Which I would have absolutely no idea how to measure that since it's being built around my back seat. After that pick subs based on that?
You have 2.3 cubic feet before port and sub displacement so after those are taken to consideration you'll most likely end up with 1.4 to 2.0 cubic feet of usable airspace. You'll want 10" subs that can work well in small enclosures. Or two 8 inch subs that work better in medium to large enclosures.

3r4Wez.jpg

You have 2.3 cubic feet before port and sub displacement so after those are taken to consideration you'll most likely end up with 1.4 to 2.0 cubic feet of usable airspace. You'll want 10" subs that can work well in small enclosures. Or two 8 inch subs that work better in medium to large enclosures.
3r4Wez.jpg
I'm thinking I would prefer two 10s. Not sure what good 10s are out there for small space I'm only familiar with a few different 12's including the Dayton. What would you recommend?

I'm now thinking, and I've changed my mind a little bit, I'm thinking I want to do a single 12" in between the driver and passenger seat. I know ultimately what I want is some really punchy, tight, nice sounding bass that will work for almost any genre of music but mainly rock or metal. I love guitar tones or really any tones such as piano parts to cut through and just feel super filling. Not sure if that makes sense but I would much rather have louder speakers (As in Mids and Tweets) than louder bass and as of now I can get my subs way, way louder than my speakers. So I'm thinking a single 12" would be perfect in between the driver and passenger. I'll take out my console and do that, and if not I've seen a video on a guy moving his seats forward 2" forward and putting two 12's back there. I'm thinking that would be perfect, and I've realized now I don't like songs that just absolutely kill you with bass and over power, but I definitely like to feel the bass, and have it extremely punchy and tight on a rock song for example Take The Power Back - Rage Against The Machine, In the very beginning of the song I love how tight, and punchy the bass is and I want to be able to really feel that so I do want it loud, but I'm not someone that listens to some super bassy songs, or EDM songs that have insane bass. Just rock, pop, country, metal, rap, and hip-hop. And I know rap and hip-hop is notorious for bassy songs but I want it clean and to mix in more than stand out. I'm not sure if this helped but this is really what I want out of a sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm now thinking, and I've changed my mind a little bit, I'm thinking I want to do a single 12" in between the driver and passenger seat. I know ultimately what I want is some really punchy, tight, nice sounding bass that will work for almost any genre of music but mainly rock or metal. I love guitar tones or really any tones such as piano parts to cut through and just feel super filling. Not sure if that makes sense but I would much rather have louder speakers (As in Mids and Tweets) than louder bass and as of now I can get my subs way, way louder than my speakers. So I'm thinking a single 12" would be perfect in between the driver and passenger. I'll take out my console and do that, and if not I've seen a video on a guy moving his seats forward 2" forward and putting two 12's back there. I'm thinking that would be perfect, and I've realized now I don't like songs that just absolutely kill you with bass and over power, but I definitely like to feel the bass, and have it extremely punchy and tight on a rock song for example Take The Power Back - Rage Against The Machine, In the very beginning of the song I love how tight, and punchy the bass is and I want to be able to really feel that so I do want it loud, but I'm not someone that listens to some super bassy songs, or EDM songs that have insane bass. Just rock, pop, country, metal, rap, and hip-hop. And I know rap and hip-hop is notorious for bassy songs but I want it clean and to mix in more than stand out. I'm not sure if this helped but this is really what I want out of a sub.

I listen to metal, rock, punk, drum and bass, trap, trance and other edm. Its all about the punch for me. However i can play super deep as well. My system can play almost anything and due to a good head unit, i can even make it shine above and beyond in any particular genre with slight adjustments. Its all Box design, cone area and power. The subs i have arent even SQ oriented subs but I make due with a proper design.

For center consoles, its a hit or miss depending on your car acoustics, in front might not hit at all while in the back people will feel the pressure. Usually the having the subs near the front will create pressure in the back. Having subs in the back will create pressure in the front. Thats how cabin gain and acoustical loading works. so if you want to try, use your current subs and put it on your center console and see how it sounds. This is just a quick test. Then put it in the far rear and see how it sounds, you'll see what i'm talking about.

However if you can do the back area, that would best and should get the loudest with that orientation. However to even think about running what kind of subs, you need to measure out what kind of space you will have left. because you might not even have enough mounting depth behind the rear seats and most subs we recommend have a big motor and basket which requires a lot of mounting depth.

So we need the Depth x height x width of the rear area.

I listen to metal, rock, punk, drum and bass, trap, trance and other edm. Its all about the punch for me. However i can play super deep as well. My system can play almost anything and due to a good head unit, i can even make it shine above and beyond in any particular genre with slight adjustments. Its all Box design, cone area and power. The subs i have arent even SQ oriented subs but I make due with a proper design.
For center consoles, its a hit or miss depending on your car acoustics, in front might not hit at all while in the back people will feel the pressure. Usually the having the subs near the front will create pressure in the back. Having subs in the back will create pressure in the front. Thats how cabin gain and acoustical loading works. so if you want to try, use your current subs and put it on your center console and see how it sounds. This is just a quick test. Then put it in the far rear and see how it sounds, you'll see what i'm talking about.

However if you can do the back area, that would best and should get the loudest with that orientation. However to even think about running what kind of subs, you need to measure out what kind of space you will have left. because you might not even have enough mounting depth behind the rear seats and most subs we recommend have a big motor and basket which requires a lot of mounting depth.

So we need the Depth x height x width of the rear area.
Yeah, I could buy a single 12" box and try it out where the console is, but I'm probably going to plan on moving the seats forward 2" and doing what the guys did in that video. He said you have 4 and 1/2 cubic ft, and I'm getting the same truck he's using in the video, although it could be different but that's pretty much what we have to work with. He's doing two 12's but I would think a single 12 would work better for this situation...? I love almost all genres of music besides EDM, techno that kind of stuff but I don't like just insane car rattling bass, I just like it to be able to turn up as loud as the speakers and still feel it.

Also, I noticed after playing music for about 15 minutes at a fairly loud volume, a burning smell and it was my 4 channel amp ( The Alpine) and there was a plastic bag over it but nothing else. The song was a super, super bassy song that a friend was playing and it was only bass. But sure enough it smelled burnt and kept running fine but I turned my car off and let it sit. This was only for a few minutes, the amp was really hot but the sub amp was just fine... Maybe it's time for that new NVX amp...?

Yeah, I could buy a single 12" box and try it out where the console is, but I'm probably going to plan on moving the seats forward 2" and doing what the guys did in that video. He said you have 4 and 1/2 cubic ft, and I'm getting the same truck he's using in the video, although it could be different but that's pretty much what we have to work with. He's doing two 12's but I would think a single 12 would work better for this situation...? I love almost all genres of music besides EDM, techno that kind of stuff but I don't like just insane car rattling bass, I just like it to be able to turn up as loud as the speakers and still feel it.
Also, I noticed after playing music for about 15 minutes at a fairly loud volume, a burning smell and it was my 4 channel amp ( The Alpine) and there was a plastic bag over it but nothing else. The song was a super, super bassy song that a friend was playing and it was only bass. But sure enough it smelled burnt and kept running fine but I turned my car off and let it sit. This was only for a few minutes, the amp was really hot but the sub amp was just fine... Maybe it's time for that new NVX amp...?
yes its always been time for that new nvx amp..... You've been complaining about the mids not loud enough and keep on complaining when we've been telling you that you needed more power lol.

4.5 cubic feet, you can actually do two 15s sealed or two 12s ported. However I dont trust what people claim. I trust you measuring the actual depth x Width x Height. Without those dimensions dont even bother shopping for subs period...

yes its always been time for that new nvx amp..... You've been complaining about the mids not loud enough and keep on complaining when we've been telling you that you needed more power lol.
4.5 cubic feet, you can actually do two 15s sealed or two 12s ported. However I dont trust what people claim. I trust you measuring the actual depth x Width x Height. Without those dimensions dont even bother shopping for subs period...
Yeah, I was gonna wait.. but I was just saying apparently it's 4 and 1/2 cubic feet so he can't be that insanely off. I'll measure when I can and get some measurements. I really need to get that new amp, I'm just wondering why the alpine is burning up?

Also what would you recommend I do for a friends system? He wants the cheapest system he can get but he wants it really loud and decently clear (Who doesn't...) But I think hes saying he doesn't want to go over $350. I was thinking I would sell him my old alpine and use that but he wants subs, and new speakers. He has a good HU and it's a small Acura I was just gonna throw in a component system, running on my Alpine and then maybe sell him my old 12's and amp or buy him something cheaper but idk how it could go cheaper than that. Was also thinking about buying him just a 6.5 woofer and then selling him my old Kenwood tweets for cheap. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I was gonna wait.. but I was just saying apparently it's 4 and 1/2 cubic feet so he can't be that insanely off. I'll measure when I can and get some measurements. I really need to get that new amp, I'm just wondering why the alpine is burning up?
Also what would you recommend I do for a friends system? He wants the cheapest system he can get but he wants it really loud and decently clear (Who doesn't...) But I think hes saying he doesn't want to go over $350. I was thinking I would sell him my old alpine and use that but he wants subs, and new speakers. He has a good HU and it's a small Acura I was just gonna throw in a component system, running on my Alpine and then maybe sell him my old 12's and amp or buy him something cheaper but idk how it could go cheaper than that. Was also thinking about buying him just a 6.5 woofer and then selling him my old Kenwood tweets for cheap. Any suggestions?
if he wants to do it cheap, getting your old system off your hands is a wonderful idea haha. Just cut him a small break so he doesnt go over 350. The soundqubed 6.5 pro audios fit the bill nicely for 6.5 replacements.

if he wants to do it cheap, getting your old system off your hands is a wonderful idea haha. Just cut him a small break so he doesnt go over 350. The soundqubed 6.5 pro audios fit the bill nicely for 6.5 replacements.
You're talking about these right? QP-MR6.5 (Sold As Pair) (Grills Not Included)

I'm not sure he want's two 12's and that would mean I go without subs for quite a while, but I'll figure that out with him. I could sell him my old tweets for $30, my rockfordfosgate amp for $125 (Just payed $150) I'll sell him my Alpine for $75, and then I'll figure out If I'm selling my subs to him. I could also sell him my Kicker rear speakers but, I'm not sure he'd want those rather than a separate 6.5. but If he did buy those 6.5 soundqubed then that would be another $60. That's probably close enough to the budget. He could also run his speakers off of his head unit, but that's only if he really wants to save money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.