UNBIASED thoughts on Sony HU

bumpinthanite
10+ year member

i like cars. a lot.
Ok, I know a lot of people give sony **** for, like, everything. Granted, the subs aren't the best and whatnot, but how about the HU's? The one that I am looking at is the CDXM630 (black face that folds down when you press a button and the controls are on the other side...).

I just want honest, unbiased opinions form people who have actually had experience with this HU. Thanks.

Well I think it looks ugly and that's an important reason of why not to buy it. I don't have much experience with Sony decks but to me they all look horrible.

Some of the higher end Sony Xplod head units can actually put out decent SQ, however for the price it's not really worth it to me.. there is better. Other than that.. Sony Xplod as a whole is unreliable. People come on here all the time and say something along the lines of "I know Sony *****, but what about ". You just answered your own question.

I don't feel this is a biased opinion at all for those who may wish to flame. Keep in mind Sony car audio is a seperate division from other Sony products and they are not in the business to sell quality equipment. They are trying to sell products that "appeal" and "sell". And they do that well. If you want quality, look elsewhere.

what about the pioneer DEH-P6400 (active display...dolphins and all that crap)? I can get one off of ikesound for, like, almopst $100 less than that sony one...would that be more wise and of higher quality? I am running a pioneer DEH-P2400 now and it's been great since I've had it (2 years). I just really need something good with dual pre-outs and looks pretty good...like, more than what I have.

I have a P6400 and it's just a basic deck. No MP3's, no separate sub out. 2V preouts. It's OK, but I dunno if it's a step up from what you have.

My son has a Sony deck and it skips a lot. And the volume control goes intermittant sometimes, randomly going to full volume. Not the model you were looking at though.

Well, I guess my next question is: For around the same price as that Sony (no more than $300, please), does anyone have a recomendation for somethng that is better and of higher quality? I want dual pre-outs, the mp3 encoding deal and a nice eq you can customize (that seems to be most hu's, though)...and some cool looks would be nice, but I am trying to run a nice sq system, so looks are secondary...

Thanks

by the way...my profile reads that I already have a DEH-P6400, yet a couple entries ago, it says that I am running a DEH-P2400...the 2400 is in my other car. I have a system that I like in my other car, but I am working on the one is my older car. I just asked about the 6400 in this car 'cause I dunno how it compares to that Sony.

Just in case anyone read anything and was wondering...

Originally posted by bumpinthanite Ok, I know a lot of people give sony **** for, like, everything. Granted, the subs aren't the best and whatnot, but how about the HU's? The one that I am looking at is the CDXM630 (black face that folds down when you press a button and the controls are on the other side...).

I just want honest, unbiased opinions form people who have actually had experience with this HU. Thanks.
I've owned many head units, this was one of them. Aesthetically pleasing, easy to use, sounds the same as most other head units. Only problem with it was random skipping. Even when idle, or not moving. This is usually the most common problem with it. Did I like it when I had it? Yup, did the job, looked neat. Would I buy one again for that price? Mmm...probably not, but I'd consider it.

Get the Alpine-9813 from Ike sound. I think it is something like 325. It is an awsome deck. Built very solid, great SQ, good eq, good cross over network, fast mp3 load times, and also has time correction. Pioneer is a good bang for your buck company. They are built solid and out of the 5 or so I have owned I have never had a single problem.

Now for my opinion on Sony HU's. This is from experience with them in friends cars and one of my own. They are decent to start but after usually a few months things start to go wron(i.e. skipping) I would never again buy another Sony HU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.