Um, I last logged in 10 years ago, in 2007! What's good in 2017?

Had some time to kill, been out the audio scene for a looooooong time (um, 2007 to be precise), so thought I would take a trip down memory lane and log in.
When I was around, Stereo Integrity, Digital Designs, AudioQue, Image Dynamics, RE Audio, Shocker Audio, Beyond Audio, Adire Audio, Incriminator Audio, all that kind of stuff, was looked upon as the best kit money can buy.

I see some of those brands have now disappeared for good.

So, what's good these days folks? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

(It took me 3 attempts to get remember by password after 10 yrs, crazy huh!)
Welcome back.

You're not alone. I'm back into car audio with c. 1997 tech knowledge. Some of the stuff they have now is awesome, prices have dropped, and there's less knowledge required. There are also things that I do not like at all, and some of the old school stuff is still superior in a few areas. For example, it does seem like sound volume has evolved in favor of sound quality, when I would have bet that SQ would have continued to evolve.

A mixture of old school and new school seem best. I'm running a Skar 10" sub that's putting out approximately what we would have used two 10" or 12" to achieve back in the day. It's pushed, however, by an old school a/b amplifier with 0.04% THD. Up to 10x that is acceptable today. The argument is that anything under 1% cannot be heard, but I argue "distortion stacking" in turn.

So, it's whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm digging the tech mix, though.

Regards,

Josh

Welcome back.
You're not alone. I'm back into car audio with c. 1997 tech knowledge. Some of the stuff they have now is awesome, prices have dropped, and there's less knowledge required. There are also things that I do not like at all, and some of the old school stuff is still superior in a few areas. For example, it does seem like sound volume has evolved in favor of sound quality, when I would have bet that SQ would have continued to evolve.

A mixture of old school and new school seem best. I'm running a Skar 10" sub that's putting out approximately what we would have used two 10" or 12" to achieve back in the day. It's pushed, however, by an old school a/b amplifier with 0.04% THD. Up to 10x that is acceptable today. The argument is that anything under 1% cannot be heard, but I argue "distortion stacking" in turn.

So, it's whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm digging the tech mix, though.

Regards,

Josh
We still need more knowledge today it's just different. More advanced terminology.

And no you are not hearing 1% THD for the amp considering the speakers themselves have more then that.

Sound quality itself has evolved way more then output. Output is easy. Shove as much cone area and power as you can.

Sound quality is technical. Response matching, phase, delay, intensity, PLD, comm filtering.

I'm pretty sure SI subs ship from the same address as the American Sundown build shop. I also saw Sundown Team motors made with SI 24" soft parts.
I am almost positive that SI is OEM'd by Sundown, but it is possible that I'm wrong. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I was thinking about trying SI next
I have purchased two subs from Nick (Stereo Integrity) and they both arrived in sundown boxes. The hst mkll uses the zv5 basket and motor, but the soft parts are much softer, yielding a lower fs, my 18 inch versions fs was 16, the 12 inch model that I had it converted to fs is 19. Nick sent me pics and video of him building both subs.

We still need more knowledge today it's just different. More advanced terminology. And no you are not hearing 1% THD for the amp considering the speakers themselves have more then that.

Sound quality itself has evolved way more then output. Output is easy. Shove as much cone area and power as you can.

Sound quality is technical. Response matching, phase, delay, intensity, PLD, comm filtering.
Hello,

No, not 1%. But 0.5% on the amp added to 4.5% sum of other components, you start hearing it.

Back in the day, we'd have to phase match with filters in the line and then deal with insertion loss. It wasn't as precise. This is one area that's evolved to be more precise.

I'm not trying to insult anyone. When I left with the sale of my Jeep about 15 years ago, the push was still on for reduced distortion, whether it could be heard or not. Sometime, SPL seems to have taken over.

Regards,

Josh

Hello,
No, not 1%. But 0.5% on the amp added to 4.5% sum of other components, you start hearing it.

Back in the day, we'd have to phase match with filters in the line and then deal with insertion loss. It wasn't as precise. This is one area that's evolved to be more precise.

I'm not trying to insult anyone. When I left with the sale of my Jeep about 15 years ago, the push was still on for reduced distortion, whether it could be heard or not. Sometime, SPL seems to have taken over.

Regards,

Josh
If you are not maxing everything out it's not there.

that escalated quickly
How did it escalate? I use a .45 as a feelgood measure though a logically a 9mm would be just fine, and I run 0.04% THD though logically I know that 1% would be fine. Both are overkill on my part, but personal preference as well.

I'm a little confused I guess.

Regards,

Josh

How did it escalate? I use a .45 as a feelgood measure though a logically a 9mm would be just fine, and I run 0.04% THD though logically I know that 1% would be fine. Both are overkill on my part, but personal preference as well.
I'm a little confused I guess.

Regards,

Josh
just the first time ive seen handguns spoken about on here is all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I literally just posted in 'THE thread' saying the same thing. I'm excited to see what's new and what they can do. Tops I remember back in the day was ED, DD, and RE. DD was more expensive but always what I wanted to play with. My last purchase about a decade ago(wow time flies) was 2 15" RE.. I forget what but they were but they were 'competition' so the RMS was like 2k or so, life threw me some curveballs and I sold them before they saw any voltage. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

EDIT: OMG it's in my sig below!!!!! 2 18" FI BTL's . that was it, wow, I completely forgot my god

Hello,

Regards,

Josh
This site has always favored SPL over SQ.

SPL is one thing but it seems that anymore people want those loud LOWS (35 and under)... 10 years ago it WAS possible to do just that... but VERY expensive... the equipment today is so far ahead of what it was in the mid 90's when I really got hooked...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.