type r 12 distortion.............????????

swangin68
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
hemet ca
i have 2 12 type r's in 1.5 sealed each enclosure. with about 2000- 2400 watts . it hits real good. my question is im tryin to get more output(louder) my gains and freq. are set right. the thing is if i try and go past the volume its set at a little, it wants to start distorting and bottoming out. now is that caused from the amp peaking(so thats all its got). or is it the subs reaching there limit. just wondering what causes the bass to peak. amp, subs, box? i just thought 2400 watts wouls sound alot louder and harder. compared to my 800 watt system its louder but i wanted more...whats limiting me?????????????help

ur gains can be set right and u might not have electrical to back up u trying to push at full tilt cause them to clip making it sound distorted most likely thats the reason, or u got good electrical and ur over powering (which i doubt)

btw port ur box dont seal if you wanna be louder thats just rule 1

i noticed it sounds good when my volts are at 13 and above, and it starts to clip when i push it and it drops to 11.5 or so. what will be the fix for me to get more clean power out this amp...battery in rear.? do i need to feed the amp more current then its getting. could that clip and limit the power..and im gonna try a ported box at 5.5 at 32 hz for both.

well if you push them past where you set your gains at... chances are you're clipping. Doesn't take the head cashier at walmart to figure that out.
ok i know. how do i not get clipping so soon in the output im getting. in other words how do i get louder without clipping so soon.? and do u work at walmart.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

orion xtr pro 2400 2/0 power and ground to the back new front batt(stock style 600cca). stock alt. no big 3 gonna do it this week. it gets louder and louder then it starts to distort(clip) and fall off. i was looking for more out of this orion. so big 3 for sure of course. but i dont wanna get an alt because of all the horror stories on them not working as advertised

could it be that the subs are already to there limit, or im getting a clipped signal at that point due to amp not getting enough current or volts

you're probably reaching the subs limits...type rs really arent that great of a woofer. Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the behavior of power. It is not linear, 2400 watts will not be 3x louder. If we seperate power compression (serious factor at these power levels) and assume the drivers follow the theory perfectly, 800-2400=4.5dB gain, which is about 45% louder than your original setup. Not *incredible* or remarkable. If you're aware of this, then disregard my post.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.