two dd 9500 15's or one dd redline 800 18"?

So i found out they don't like 4 cubes each....the first one I made they had about 3.4 each.....so im going to cut the second box down and see how they sound. They're loud now, but they sound like they're bottoming out on certain songs.....like plastic slapping together. So my guess is they'll do better with 3.25-3.4 cubes each. I will post an update here shortly if anyone cares to know

And i finally made the port so im able to adjust the tuning now. Its great lol

Got any pics of the box in its current state?

That's some SERIOUS port area above imo... I'm guessing you have it tuned super high, are wanging away way under tuning or your ssf is set incorrectly as well.

Last edited:
How much port area should they have?
Got pics of it in there? 156in2 of port is a tad high but not a deal breaker. You said its finished so I'd love to see it in its current state. Adjustable port?... it's a square/slot?
Realize that bandwith will be reduced with a 40hz tuning. Don't be surprised if your ssf ends up being in the mid-hi 30's as I think that amp has a 12db/octave slope. And limiting anything under low 30's at full volume might be a good idea too. Spl has tradeoffs and bandwith/musicality is a big one.
My .02

Yes, let's see how the box sits in the trunk. You already went from 8.7 cube to 7.7 cube, how much volume do you actually have? What are you using for source (music/tones) to determine which is louder and how your response is?

Have you checked for flexing in that box? The bottom is a big piece for just 1 layer without any bracing (2x3, 2x4, or even 2x2 works fine and is cheap). Are you certain every seem is airtight? Are you sure the subs are seated tightly? I really think you must already have a box you can work with by now with some tweaking and care.

Also I'd heard the opposite about the Taramps and gain/sensitivity to high head unit voltage. I've never used those but I just put in a Soundigital and it can push into protect just a couple clicks above lowest.

At the moment just a 50hz 0db test tone.
Yes im sure the subs are sealed right.
Also the box is sealed up, i made sure of that.

I have not checked for flexing in the box yet.
And when I had the hd8000 your exactly right hispls.....the gain was super sensitive, i just barely had to turn the gain up, like a 1/16th up and it was good to go.....but with this shittty md8000, its completely opposite. Its really weird. I'd never recommend the md line to anyone.

The reason I bought the md is because I was researching on which one I should get because I dont have the funds to drop on a Korean...anyways somebody on here that started another thread had mentioned they would go with the md line so I was like fuckk it. I had the hd why not try the md.......i should have got the bass 8k but it didn't come with the free dsp either. Another reason I chose the md.....

Thank you for your input as well shredder.....ok so the first box was 7.2 net with 120in2 of port tuned to 39hz

Second one was 7 cubes tuned to 34hz with 121 sq in of port

Right now its 8.5 cubes tuned to 38hz with 145sq in of port

Attachments

• 20200803_075059.jpg
    20200803_075059.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 228
Last edited:
I'd never recommend the md line to anyone.

Then again, what did you pay for it vs. what were your options at that price point? I'm digging the Soundigital. Put a 159.2 up on the leader board at the local shop this morning and it plays music and stays cool well enough. Of course I've got a way over built battery bank to feed it too.

What I'm seeing there that may be holding you back is that with the hatch closed there's no room for the wave from the port to get up and to the front. Not sure how far the port opening even is from the back of the vehicle but if it's really crowded it can also cause trouble. Might also try to double up those port walls too, I'm betting those are flexing a bit and you could lose 1.5" side to side and not notice much difference in tuning. Bonus points cut the insert pieces with 45 degree angles so that it makes a flare going in and out of the port.

Please don't throw a fit and destroy any more boxes. You can use what you have to do more testing at the very least.

Sound digital was an option, I should have went with that instead. I seriously thought about it. I really wish I hadn't got this taramps, I regret it terribly. And I dont plan on throwing a fit and destroying any boxes.

So if I use 2x6's to fill the inside how many will I need to drop it down to 7.28 cu ft? Currently it's at 8.5 cu ft, im going to change the shape of the port to how I had it in the original box and see if they're able to get as loud as they did before. Because the first port was 6x20x20 which is 39hz with 120in2 of port area.

I wish i had taken a video of them. But there's nowhere around here where im able to just sit there and play them. I always have to get on the highway so its really shittty

What subs, and type of box was used to achieve that 159.2?

Oh and I paid $540 for it and the dsp

An 8 foot 2x6 is a little less than half a cubic foot. My build log is towards the top of the page in the build logs section here in the forum.

Dunno what you expected out of a 540$ amp + DSP brand new. Really if it makes over 4000W and doesn't light your car on fire for that price you're doing pretty good.

Thank you for the info! Lol
Haha I completely agree with you
Care to help me with the math? My pieces are 33.5 inches long

And i was just thinking.....could having a 300a fuse vs a 750a have anything to do with it?

The 300a fuse was my problem!!!

Switched it to a 750a and now they're just as loud as before!

God damn im so happy now! Lol

I seriously thought I fuccked the sub up somehow when I reconed it lol. But I was like surely I couldn't have, its a drop in, cant really mess it up unless you don't shim it right, but its good to go.

When I had those three meso 18's I attempted a raw recone and failed miserably trying to get the gap just right between the voice coil and surround, and i glued the coils wrong lol. Shittty experience.

Oh and hispls what subs were used to achieve that 159? Im really curious

I want to thank all of you for helping me out! It truly means a lot to me....

Last edited:
Oh and hispls what subs were used to achieve that 159? Im really curious

Shocker Neo Sig, check my build log. https://www.caraudio.com/threads/bye-bye-back-seats.589759/

These are louder than ceramic Sig by a bit and ceramic Sig is a bit louder than DD 95XX. Your subs aren't the weak link, I doubt I'd be more than 1dB down if I direct swapped my subs for DD9515s (any generation).

I still can't understand why you weren't opening the 300A fuse trying to run through that. Let me ask again, how much space is between the box and the sides and hatch? I just wonder if you're not getting the wave from the port up to the front. I'd almost say you could shorten that box by 6-8 inches (modify port as needed to keep tuning @ 38-40hz) and come out better.

Man I wish i had four 9500's in my scion, holy shiit I could only imagine what it'd be like lol.

I really wish i had a meter.

I also need some advice on where I should mount my amps.....im going to use little bolts so they look like they're floating when mounted and also so it will hopefully eliminate any vibrations since they won't be mounted to a piece of wood to the box.

Attachments

• 20200805_101301.jpg
    20200805_101301.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 20200805_101324.jpg
    20200805_101324.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 20200805_101338.jpg
    20200805_101338.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 20200805_114842.jpg
    20200805_114842.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.