Bye bye back seats....

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Continued from:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/606610-c-pilllar-wall-jeep-4.html

While I've really been happy with this build, the box is just too small and I just don't have enough room to ever clean up the back. My best DB drag style number to date was 153.1 but I'm pretty confident I'm not going far beyond that. I'm never driving with passengers these days so the rear seats are getting traded off for some proper box space and hopefully some decent SPL gains.

I had somewhat planned for this eventuality and the old box came out in perhaps an hour and a half with a sawzall. For the record, I taped trash bags to the sides and spray foamed into them to fill the sides without being a sticky mess. Going forward, this will be very permanent.

IMG_1411_zpsnngninqz.jpg

Sadly losing the back seat doesn't let me really get more height. A few inches, but not worth the hassle of building all the angles. I decided to put batteries up there though for a few reasons. One being to keep the back cleaner and possibly be able to open the back wall to use it for cargo space in a pinch, and another to distribute the weight a little better since I do some rather heavy towing about once a month.

IMG_1412_zpsh2oqrmbc.jpg

IMG_1413_zpsi86gyjvb.jpg.html

I want a solid seal to the sides but the way this Jeep is laid out my seat back wants to be well past the B pillar so building solid to that is dead. This is not so much for strength, but just for a mounting point and to seal off the front. Cosmetic panels will be built later for front and back but this is going to be what really seals the pressure up front. Using just scraps laying around mostly to build out the sides to where the walls will begin. The angles of this are really all over the place so it was quite the jigsaw puzzle.

IMG_1414_zpsiskwx9vw.jpg

IMG_1415_zpskti021vg.jpg

IMG_1416_zpsdu3mddem.jpg

IMG_1417_zpsmxf18dc7.jpg

The one thing hat worked out well was the roof. Nice central point of contact for some glue and squared in the edges pretty nicely.

Doing 2 layer sides, 3 on top and bottom, 4 on the back, and 5 on the baffle.

IMG_1418_zpsgwitwhdq.jpg

IMG_1419_zps0xeaog3d.jpg

IMG_1420_zps4ql3zdgx.jpg

Got a bit more done last night but it was too dark to get any pictures.

Also as fair warning, I'm fvcking off work all week to get this playing before next weekend and carbon fiber and carpet won't be here until next week. It is very probable that even after the cosmetic stuff arrives it will be a few weeks before I can even attempt to finish and clean things up since I'll just have too much work to catch up on that can't be put off any longer.

sheeeiittt

what the hell is that besides the obvious of it being an older tc sounds neo (that have been treated poorly)

IMG_1422_zpsqvcooaha.jpg

IMG_1423_zps0z7haonh.jpg

IMG_1425_zpsysn4wrpf.jpg

IMG_1426_zpslflrwfgw.jpg

Home Depot carries a Loctite brand spray foam that lays up crazy thick. You don't get much in a bottle but it is pretty impressive stuff.

sheeeiittt
what the hell is that besides the obvious of it being an older tc sounds neo (that have been treated poorly)
Shocker Neo Sigs, very scarce TC built motor. The old timers will know what they are. Some of the motors had been painted in fleck paint which is since peeling off, as with all very low carbon steel the top and bottom plates are tarnishing. Softparts are still solid if a bit dusty. Really the suspensions are still a little too stiff IMO.

IMG_1427_zpszheonfye.jpg

O'Reiley's did me right warranty-ing these batteries last year so they're still solid. The battery under the hood is dead but got a new one incoming tomorrow... Bosh brand "platinum AGM" .... likely the same thing as everything else but with 4 year warranty that I can claim through any Pep Boys parts store. IMO easily claimed warranty is pretty mint when it comes to heavy items.

IMG_1428_zpsl7fphfio.jpg

I really didn't want to use 2X4's in the corner but MDF is just such **** at taking screws, and we need a little extra strength for part of the plan for the back wall.

IMG_1429_zpsyf7mbfzx.jpg

IMG_1430_zpsvljqz6ve.jpg

As you can see, the actual seal between front and back is back by the C pillar and these cosmetic pieces fill the space to give me a flat wall look up front. Also the 2X4s they're mounted to on the sides give a little extra bracing to the sides of the box.

IMG_1431_zpsv15amupy.jpg

And at this point we stopped to go to the lake and wash off the sawdust. If all goes well I'll be sound testing tomorrow.

Again, most of the cosmetic cleanup stuff doesn't get here until next week and I want this thing playing for a show or two this weekend.

Shocker was pretty competitive. Curious to know how they do.
"Was"? Just a couple years ago someone set a world record at finals in Ohio in DB Drag with some ceramic sigs.

Actually they're very low Q and somewhat high FS, at least with the stiff suspensions. They sounded very nice in the old box (which was way too small) but at the expense of output. Giving them about double the volume and port should give me a huge peak. I may be able to make it musical for daily with EQ or I may wind up changing volume/tuning later if it's too much of a one-note-wonder.

I've got some really great sounding subs building up these motors 18" but as you can see I have no room on the baffle for any more cone area (I'd have taken a wider port if I could fit), and the 18s want 8-10 cube to perform right. In 3 cube a 12 outperforms a 15, in 5 cube a 15 beats an 18.

Mostly the neo sigs want to get peaky though like any super high motor force sub. They were designed for the guys who hit a wall with the ceramic sigs and wanted to gain .1 to 1.0 dB by just swapping subs. If you wanted a compromise, the '05 ceramic sig built up 12" is about the best sounding I've played with to date, but they're real knuckle busters trying to mount and unmount, I'm limited in options due to amps, and I really just like the rarity of he neo sigs.... they're one of those things I always wanted and finally got, you know? All other things aside I'd really rather see 6 12" ceramic sigs in this wall.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.