Two androids one cu...ermmm..car

Participant count
  • Participant list

Monkeybizness

CarAudio.com Newbie
Looking to upgrade my 05 Acura RL with some modern stuff, like gps, backup cam, Spotify, etc. The car comes stock with the Bose 10 speaker DTS system.

Unfortunately, Acura, in their infinite wisdom, decided to integrate everything together with an outdated nav system so I need to essentially untangle the mess in order to do so.

I've decided to keep the stock head unit for radio because the top display won't work without it, and I need that to monitor climate control temperature. Also, I doubt a cheap android dsp is going to be able to do better than the Bose amp with the system.

Plan is to add not one but two android units to modernize the system. I have a double din eonon rk3566 unit from my truck, which was totaled (which I'll call #2 for this discussion) to go in the middle between the stock radio (I'll call it SR) and the nav spot. In the stock nav spot I want to buy a cheap 7" unit(which will be #1) unit to fill in the spot.

Plan on using #1 specifically for gps and backup cam, hence the cheap part. It will likely need a mic and Bluetooth capability for voice input navigation and network access to data(considering a slave connection to #2's wifi)as well as some form of speaker output, even if I have to wire in a cheap one just for GPS notifications..

#2 will be used for phone, obd2, weather and maybe dashcam, as well as to play Spotify and possibly videos. It will need bluetooth and wifi, as well as some type of encoding solution to process through the stock head unit's aux system.

Unfortunately, the RL has a convoluted aux in system which uses a passthrough from the xm channel, so I'll need to find away to set that up. Because this unit will be used for phone I will need to figure out how I'm going to make that work as well.

And here come the questions:

1. How would I go about setting up the network on this? Maybe set #1 as a slave to #2's wifi?

2. Is there a way, outside of turning my phone's hotspot on every time, to get network access to both head units without using Android Auto? Would love to customize the display with one of the launcher apps, such as Nova launcher.

3. How would I get #2's audio to run through SR without feedback?

4. Can anyone recommend an encoding solution to pass the audio from #2 through SR to the Bose amp?

5. Should power for #1 and #2 come from SR's harness or should it be separate?

Attachments

• 20230608_102856.jpg
    20230608_102856.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 17
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...