Two 12s or a single L7 12" Q Class

Participant count
  • Participants list

Mudflap

CarAudio.com Newbie
US
I have limited space I'm working with behind my back seat in my Jeep Wrangler. I can squeeze out about 3.25-3.45 cubic feet of internal volume behind there for a custom ported enclosure (I may be able to squeeze out a bit more if I play with the dimensions and can make the box extend a little above the seat, but I'm just playing it safe for now). I've narrowed down my two subwoofer choices to either 2 Kicker Comp R 12s (500 RMS each), or a single Kicker Comp Q L7 12" (900 RMS). The maximum vented enclosure space for the L7 is 3.25 cubic feet, so this L7 would be perfect for the enclosure space. But to get more surface area and slightly more power (1000 watts) I could put 2 Comp R 12s in the same enclosure but they wouldn't be getting the optimal amount of air space (4.5 cubic feet). Which one should I choose? Either way they both get the same amp (Kicker 1200) and to be honest I think I'm gonna run the L7 at 1000 watts.

Also a side question, since my Jeep doesn't have a closed off trunk or anything like that, should I face the subs and port towards me or towards the trunk. When I would listen to them I can fold the seat down so they would essentially be in open air if they were pointed towards me. I don't think any phase cancellation or something like that would happen because I put my subs now in the backseat sometimes to cut down on trunk rattling.

TL;DR, 2 Kicker Comp R 12's (1000 watts) or a single Kicker Comp Q L7 12" (900 watts) in a 3.25 cubic foot ported enclosure?

I appreciate all the help I can get, thank you!

Last edited:
Don't put 2 12s in a ported box smaller than 4cubes. Why not do 2 10s instead? They would work in 3-3.25cubes perfectly.

The kicker squares naturally have more cone area than round counterparts but they also require bigger boxes. 3.25 would work for a fair bit of 15s

Don't put 2 12s in a ported box smaller than 4cubes. Why not do 2 10s instead? They would work in 3-3.25cubes perfectly.

The kicker squares naturally have more cone area than round counterparts but they also require bigger boxes. 3.25 would work for a fair bit of 15s
To be honest I was thinking about a Kicker Comp Q L7 15" but I get my stuff with my Best Buy discount and they are out of stock of the L7 Q Class 15s (but not the circle Comp Q 15s). Even then it's kinda pushing my comfortable budget compared to the 12s. And I may have enough mounting depth if it's pointed to the trunk, but I think it might be louder if the acoustic energy isn't used on shaking my trunk. Also I just don't like the noise lol.

I have limited space I'm working with behind my back seat in my Jeep Wrangler. I can squeeze out about 3.25-3.45 cubic feet of internal volume behind there for a custom ported enclosure (I may be able to squeeze out a bit more if I play with the dimensions and can make the box extend a little above the seat, but I'm just playing it safe for now). I've narrowed down my two subwoofer choices to either 2 Kicker Comp R 12s (500 RMS each), or a single Kicker Comp Q L7 12" (900 RMS). The maximum vented enclosure space for the L7 is 3.25 cubic feet, so this L7 would be perfect for the enclosure space. But to get more surface area and slightly more power (1000 watts) I could put 2 Comp R 12s in the same enclosure but they wouldn't be getting the optimal amount of air space (4.5 cubic feet). Which one should I choose? Either way they both get the same amp (Kicker 1200) and to be honest I think I'm gonna run the L7 at 1000 watts.

Also a side question, since my Jeep doesn't have a closed off trunk or anything like that, should I face the subs and port towards me or towards the trunk. When I would listen to them I can fold the seat down so they would essentially be in open air if they were pointed towards me. I don't think any phase cancellation or something like that would happen because I put my subs now in the backseat sometimes to cut down on trunk rattling.

TL;DR, 2 Kicker Comp R 12's (1000 watts) or a single Kicker Comp Q L7 12" (900 watts) in a 3.25 cubic foot ported enclosure?

I appreciate all the help I can get, thank you!

Have you thought of a single 15" sub? An American Bass HD15d2 would be awesome on a Smart3K in a 3.5 cubic foot ported box tuned to your liking (32-35).

To be honest I was thinking about a Kicker Comp Q L7 15" but I get my stuff with my Best Buy discount and they are out of stock of the L7 Q Class 15s (but not the circle Comp Q 15s). Even then it's kinda pushing my comfortable budget compared to the 12s. And I may have enough mounting depth if it's pointed to the trunk, but I think it might be louder if the acoustic energy isn't used on shaking my trunk. Also I just don't like the noise lol.

A kicker comp q l7 square 15 need a lot more airspace than a round 15. Why not just get the regular comp q.

Have you thought of a single 15" sub? An American Bass HD15d2 would be awesome on a Smart3K in a 3.5 cubic foot ported box tuned to your liking (32-35).
It sounds kind of tempting but
That sounds tempting but my alternator is only 117 amps, I have a good battery but I don't really know how well I could keep up.

A kicker comp q l7 square 15 need a lot more airspace than a round 15. Why not just get the regular comp q.

I guess the Kicker is cheaper with my discount too. I have to work out if I have enough mounting depth for a 15, starting to change my mind into getting the 15. Do you think it would sound really bad/lose sound if I had it firing about 0.25 inches away from the trunk during Xmax if I could only fit it that way. Would that be worth it if I could only do it like that? Also the L7 and Regular Comp Q use the same rated enclosure recommendations.

Id run a pair of tens myself as mentioned.
Not going to lie the only reason I didn't want to run a pair of 10s at first was because of my ego. Would 12s theoretically be louder in the same box or should I just swallow my ego. Or get a 15 lol

Not going to lie the only reason I didn't want to run a pair of 10s at first was because of my ego. Would 12s theoretically be louder in the same box or should I just swallow my ego. Or get a 15 lol
A good pair of tens on some power in a well tuned enclosure will slamm. I like 10s myself. Bigger isnt always better.

Im about to pull a pair of 12s and put these tens back in on 2k. SQubed HDS310s in 4.0 @32htz for my temp set up again

Attachments

• 20220803_082641 (2).jpg
    20220803_082641 (2).jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 14
Im about to pull a pair of 12s and put these tens back in on 2k. SQubed HDS310s in 4.0 @32htz for my temp set up again
Wow, does it really sound better with 10s? I know 12's aren't as optimal in a smaller space, but in my head I'm always telling myself that cone area is king.

That sounds tempting but my alternator is only 117 amps, I have a good battery but I don't really know how well I could keep up.

I guess the Kicker is cheaper with my discount too. I have to work out if I have enough mounting depth for a 15, starting to change my mind into getting the 15. Do you think it would sound really bad/lose sound if I had it firing about 0.25 inches away from the trunk during Xmax if I could only fit it that way. Would that be worth it if I could only do it like that? Also the L7 and Regular Comp Q use the same rated enclosure recommendations.

No on the Comp Q IMO. This would work well. 1,750 watts @ 2 ohms and around $500.

Screenshot_20220928-205625_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220928-205757_Chrome.jpg

Wow, does it really sound better with 10s? I know 12's aren't as optimal in a smaller space, but in my head I'm always telling myself that cone area is king.
Cone area is generally king , but it also includes the proper tuning and power on tap/ A good tuned enclosure.

No on the Comp Q IMO. This would work well. 1,750 watts @ 2 ohms and around $500.

View attachment 43078View attachment 43079

This does sound nice and in a perfect world I would run it, but would my 117 amp alternator and red top optima battery be able to handle this and a 4 channel amp that supplies about 400 watts rms total. I hate to ask so many questions, but if not would I rather be better off with a Kicker 15, single 12, 12s, or 10s. The American Bass seems like it could throw down, but I don't know how well given my power and box size limitations.

I don't go by rated enclosures. Kicker suggest 3-6cubes for both but notice how the 6cubr box is Mac for the comp q, whereas the 6 cube box is the sq box for the L7.

Bottom line the L7 require a larger box.

And no you typically want 4-6inches between the speakers cone and the next surface as little as 2 but 4 is my minimum

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...