Two 12s or a single L7 12" Q Class

Participant count
  • Participant list
This does sound nice and in a perfect world I would run it, but would my 117 amp alternator and red top optima battery be able to handle this and a 4 channel amp that supplies about 400 watts rms total. I hate to ask so many questions, but if not would I rather be better off with a Kicker 15, single 12, 12s, or 10s. The American Bass seems like it could throw down, but I don't know how well given my power and box size limitations.

I ran an XFL12 @ 1 ohm in my 2001 BMW 3 series convertible with no problem. I also ran a single 15" HD15 on a Taramps MD3K in my 65' VW Bug with a 95 amp alternator and two AGM's. I then ran 2 - AB HD 8's on a Sundown SIA3500 in my 62' VW Bug with a 55 amp alternator and one bank of lithium and an AGM. I have videos. You should be fine.

A bit of a newbie question, but if I ran the sundown audio amplifier at 4 ohms at 1100 watts instead of 2 ohms 1100 watts, would the Kicker CompQ 15" 4 ohm be louder? If so, would it be significantly louder?
Edit: Not wiring up/down the sub or anything. Just 4 ohm amp to 4 ohm sub.

A bit of a newbie question, but if I ran the sundown audio amplifier at 4 ohms at 1100 watts instead of 2 ohms 1100 watts, would the Kicker CompQ 15" 4 ohm be louder? If so, would it be significantly louder?

Its gonna sound the same. The 4ohm may sound a touch cleaner because of increased dampening factor and a D2 wired to 4ohm will have increase motor force when wired in series, this due to having more coil in the gap at any time.

But really I doubt you could tell the difference. You may gain a touch of efficiency but it's gonna be negligible

Run kicker stuff. These guys are not factoring in best buy discount. Are accommodations still 70% off kicker products? Alpine accomodations used to be really good as well. I kick myself for selling my pdx1000, but no way I'll buy a new one for retail.

I've heard the Comp Q and the guy had 2 - 15's and was more impressed by my 4 - 8's. The 1 is a sound quality sub. If you want loud the go with the XFL or the Hawk. The Sundown SIA2500 or 1750 will do the trick. Buy a dual 4 ohm sub and run it at 2 ohms. It will hit and be loud.

Run kicker stuff. These guys are not factoring in best buy discount. Are accommodations still 70% off kicker products? Alpine accomodations used to be really good as well. I kick myself for selling my pdx1000, but no way I'll buy a new one for retail.
Wow that 70% sounds really nice, I would be running crazy stuff if I had the space with that discount. But kicker gear varies for me. The more expensive stuff seems to be about 37% off and the cheaper Comp R's are about 50% off. So the 15" Comp Q runs me $271. That's also why I asked about running the 2 12s because I get those for Comp R 12's for $87 a peice. I could get 2 10s as previously stated for extremely cheap but that at 800 watts seems kinda low for me.

I've heard the Comp Q and the guy had 2 - 15's and was more impressed by my 4 - 8's. The 1 is a sound quality sub. If you want loud the go with the XFL or the Hawk. The Sundown SIA2500 or 1750 will do the trick. Buy a dual 4 ohm sub and run it at 2 ohms. It will hit and be loud.
I just did the calculations and 4 kicker Comp R 8s would fit in a reccomended minimum 3.25 cubic foot enclosure. These would come out to probably around $200. But that brings back the original question of running the 2 12s (that have a little bit of extra surface area), I get those for $174 and it would take 3.5 cubic feet minimum to run it which I can squeeze out of my tiny trunk. Both of these would be happier in 4 cubic feet but 3.5 is all I got at my max (the kicker 4 8s are able to go up to 4.8 cb while the 2 12s go to 4.5 cb). Would the 15 still be a better choice than these since it isn't as suffocated? I'm running all of these hypothetically at their max of 1200 watts. The 2 10s would work in this enclosure as well but I've heard 2 skar 10s at 1200 watts and I want louder than that.

Sorry I'm blowing the amount of possibilities for this setup out of proportion. I am looking for preferably more sound and pressure rather than just volume so I'm not sure what size to pick. Would the 15" be the loudest option to best the block with, even with the lower surface area compared to the 2 12s and 4 8s option? I'm not too expirenced as you may be able to tell and have very many questions, but I thank you for all your advice.

Wow that 70% sounds really nice, I would be running crazy stuff if I had the space with that discount. But kicker gear varies for me. The more expensive stuff seems to be about 37% off and the cheaper Comp R's are about 50% off. So the 15" Comp Q runs me $271. That's also why I asked about running the 2 12s because I get those for Comp R 12's for $87 a peice. I could get 2 10s as previously stated for extremely cheap but that at 800 watts seems kinda low for me.

I just did the calculations and 4 kicker Comp R 8s would fit in a reccomended minimum 3.25 cubic foot enclosure. These would come out to probably around $200. But that brings back the original question of running the 2 12s (that have a little bit of extra surface area), I get those for $174 and it would take 3.5 cubic feet minimum to run it which I can squeeze out of my tiny trunk. Both of these would be happier in 4 cubic feet but 3.5 is all I got at my max (the kicker 4 8s are able to go up to 4.8 cb while the 2 12s go to 4.5 cb). Would the 15 still be a better choice than these since it isn't as suffocated? I'm running all of these hypothetically at their max of 1200 watts. The 2 10s would work in this enclosure as well but I've heard 2 skar 10s at 1200 watts and I want louder than that.

Sorry I'm blowing the amount of possibilities for this setup out of proportion. I am looking for preferably more sound and pressure rather than just volume so I'm not sure what size to pick. Would the 15" be the loudest option to best the block with, even with the lower surface area compared to the 2 12s and 4 8s option? I'm not too expirenced as you may be able to tell and have very many questions, but I thank you for all your advice.
Bear in mind i haven't worked there since 2011. The instore discount was good but "accomodations" straight from manufacturers was insane. Maybe ask a coworker about it.

The Kicker CompQ 15 in 3 cubes sealed on a solid 1200 watts is a hard pounding setup with good sound quality. 3 cubes after displacements with a lot of bracing and double baffle enclosure is quite impressive with this sub.

Kicker still make some Great amps. They are ususlly always under rated.. do more than specs. Id still recommend running a pair of subs rather than a single. Thats me. Id run a single 18 again for myself as I have in the past and enjoyed it. I would deff take advantage of your discounts. I dont think I stated anything against it. Kicker has been around for a very long time for a reason.. Deff for the Entry level and Budget minded, and do well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...