Tweeter hiss noise, is this normal?

Try changing both channels to full if you are running a crossover if not you will send nothing but hi pass filters to your mids also.

Also change it to 24db octave.

Try changing both channels to full if you are running a crossover if not you will send nothing but hi pass filters to your mids also.
Also change it to 24db octave.
yep channel 1-2, 3-4 are set to no high pass filter on the head unit. cross over is set at -2db (tweeter switch) because my left ear is kind of sensitive, and these tweeters are bright, at least brand new (not sure if they will change after broken in). i have to balance my system -2, to -3 db on the left cause my left ear. sigh. if I dont, my left ear will hurt for 2-3 hours if it gets exposed to too loud volume. but in the end, the balance change makes it sound equal to me.

For the octave, Is that the 24db setting on the amp for b channel? isnt B Channel the back 2 coaxials? i thought A channel was the front components and the B channel was the back coaxials, but i really dont know for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the gains are set too high. How did they set them?
you were spot on, though I had to get an entire different amp for this fix to work. For some reason the Zapco made no difference when I changed the gain, but the Audison Sr4 amp made relatively linear diference. i am extremely happy with the gain set at 5.5 (out of 10) on the Audison S4 amp (no hiss at 25-30 volume (out of 50) on the head unit for max enjoyable loudness). It sounds so good I don't want to leave the car. The sound output and quality is equal to or better than expensive home audio equipment i've purchased over the years; though, the enclosed space of a car has better sound potential than a full room in a house. I'm blown away by the difference compared to my stock stock JBLs. I prefer a cleaner tighter bass, and these woofers deliver that without being too much. I'm still debating if I need a sub-woofer or not. Sometimes I feel like I want more bass, and other times I think the bass is perfect. Going forward, I think I'd like a nice tight sub-woofer that I can adjust on the fly.. i just need to research what to buy. Right now im liking the 55hz high pass frequency set on the amp and full (off) HPF on the head unit

I want to reiterate that I am soooo happy i pushed and persisted to the professional services vendor, that I was having issues. The Audison amp (and who knows what else they did) made a world of difference. I could instantly tell the quality of the music was better, and the more I listen, the more I like it. It's making me start to question my home audio setup lol

This is a huge fallacy that stock factory wiring is crap. I would say that for 85-90% of most installs using aftermarket amps, the factory speaker wiring is just fine, especially in newer or European vehicles. Hell in my 16yr old BMW all the factory wiring are twisted pair and we're seeing this more and more on newer vehicles. As far as the 9wire is concerned, it's simply a 9 conductor cable with the industry standard color coded pairs that make for an easier and neater installation. When using amps you can run a single length of 9wire to the location where all the factory speaker wiring converges (ie factory amp) and tie in there which saves time for the installer and cost to the customer. It's very easy to say "hey they should have asked me if I wanted to run new wiring to each speaker because I'm a purest" but all to often customers limit themselves with price. Just as easy as it would have been for the salesperson offer that as an option, you could have said "hey I'm picky about my sound and I want new wiring run throughout the vehicle." So there is no reason to be pissed and the statements made earlier about the noise being picked up by the speaker wire, well Trumpet gave the best response to that. Truthfully if you weren't building a major sq style of install most wouldn't even offer or suggest running new wiring to the speakers because it's not really needed unless you are using a majorly powerful amp which in turn would require speakers designed to handle the power.Now as to the other part of this equation, the hissing, my first thought as was stated earlier was gains are too high but as that wasn't the case I'm thinking as Trumpet again stated it could be in the amp itself. Brand new straight out the package equipment can have issues that slipped past QC, also what type of headunit are you running. I don't like the fact that the shop told you all tweeters have a hiss to them...that's just utter crap and they know it, they should be able to track down the source of the hiss by starting at the amp first. With the system off remove the rca's from the amp and turn on, if the hiss is still there then you have your culprit if not the source is further up the chain and they should backtrack till they find it. We build systems everyday with all the wiring bundled together with zero noise....
Looking back on the situation now, you are absolutely correct. I can perceive no negative impact on the quality of the audio/music using the existing stock speaker wire runs. I tend to get angry when I'm not educated prior to spending a lot of money. But then again, the education needed to understand is complicated and takes a lot of time. I think the professional services shop made the right decision. If I were to install it myself, I would probably run new cable, needlessly most likely; just because I am, to a moderate degree, an OCD "perfectionist" and min/maxer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.