tuning low ???

If you factor in cabin gain the right sealed sub is very capable of playing down to 20hz with great authority. Many regard sealed to be the most ideal setup in an automotive environment based on SQ. You may loose some output, but sheer output isn't everything.
Due to space contraints I'm currently running 2 15s I built with soft suspensions and heavy copper coils in 4cubic feet sealed with about 2kw of power, and they murder the lows....
You hit the nail on the head.. no matter what sub/box your using the sub and box is very dependent on how its loaded and factors of the car/truck its in, its resenant freq can either add/subtract total DB's... as well as cancellation and how the wave acts with in the car/truck..

I have my system loaded up.. about half way point from the top of cab and bottom of the cab.. and really hits the truck's sweet spot.. now it really has no 'high output' in anything higher than around somewhere 60-80 its ok.. but not what I would call authority.. as far as actual db output.. as its output levels increase downward untill you hit about 25-24.. then its just mainly extreme vibration.. and no so much db 'sound' so to speak.. i'm sure i miss worded that completely but all well.. it is what it is..

If you factor in cabin gain the right sealed sub is very capable of playing down to 20hz with great authority.
I'm not saying it can't. But when I model up two woofers, both great at one alignment or the other, and I can still get the ported setup to be more efficient above 20hz(and a good deal more from 25-35hz), then it makes it pretty easy to me. And since cabin gain is going to be the same, the ported alignment should win. Unless winISD is totally wrong, then it's pretty darn easy to have the low end advantage down to 20hz with a ported box.

I'm not about being loud. Like I said earlier, I'm using an old $50 10" woofer, but the ported setup I designed allows me to have a good deal of low end output compared to the rest of the spectrum it's playing.

You hit the nail on the head.. no matter what sub/box your using the sub and box is very dependent on how its loaded and factors of the car/truck its in, its resenant freq can either add/subtract total DB's... as well as cancellation and how the wave acts with in the car/truck..
I have my system loaded up.. about half way point from the top of cab and bottom of the cab.. and really hits the truck's sweet spot.. now it really has no 'high output' in anything higher than around somewhere 60-80 its ok.. but not what I would call authority.. as far as actual db output.. as its output levels increase downward untill you hit about 25-24.. then its just mainly extreme vibration.. and no so much db 'sound' so to speak.. i'm sure i miss worded that completely but all well.. it is what it is..
You can just as easily build around your vehicle with a ported setup, so I don't really see the point you're trying to make as being conclusive to sealed being > than ported for low end output.

db stands for Decibel which in an audio case is a means to measure SPL (Sound Pressure Level). Just because you can't hear those low frequencies doesn't mean it's not possible to measure them, they're still sound waves.

I actually started off with no point and was as useless as a 3 dollar bill.. but since we are in the argument.. lets be clear on something.. Db/SPL levels is not everything.. we are talking about a daily here.. not an SPL build.. for one.. so in my 'subjective' listening.. loudness is not everything.. but rather to feel.. the bass.. in my chest actual down hard core solid tight deeeeeepppp bass and loudness..

In MY Truck.. with MY equipment sealed box spanks for SQ Daily every time.. for one.. the response curve is much different of course.. even with all things being *Perfect* the ported box only has a slight range slightly below and above the tuning freq. peeking out at the tuned freq. The sealed box has a more flat response curve having a wider response ability.

Now with that.. because the ported box will peek higher at a certain tuned freq than the sealed box.. comes the actual build of the box.. and its loading.. factoring in the natural fz of the truck. which can and does give me a slight additional db of loudness in the truck.

In addition.. the sub it self can take the power needed to reproduce the same note as the ported box can with less power.. as well as.. the sealed box has better control in the freq curve the ported can not once out side of that particular range around the tuned freq. where as the ported setup would tend to loose control past that point.

The sealed with its flatter responce and increased handling of the cone movement out side of that area.. can be played lower and harder than the ported.

All in all, my statements for MY setup, you take my subs with all things being equal except the box.. put it in a ported box and loose a great deal of commanding low end bass.. out side of the tuning freq. in order to be able to handle it you tune too low and really miss some of the upper range.. all in all we are talking a total loss of about 15~20 hz (number of total frequencies lost not the actual freq's them selves) with the ported box. So to achive the same output level and total fq. responce and commanding low end.. sealed is the better option giving an overall better SQ and Output..

I'm sure there will be more comments to come,. but I hope I made my self clear on what I'm trying to get at.. Everyone's results will vary.. me taking my setup into a different truck/care will yeild different actual results.. just as that perfectly tuned ported box would.. it may be perfect in design but practical output with all variations will differ..

You can design the box around the truck/car.. and I'm sure you might get a little bit more of peaking 'loudness' from the port... but at a loss of the above mentioned. But that's IMO based on my equipment tried and tested..

You can just as easily build around your vehicle with a ported setup, so I don't really see the point you're trying to make as being conclusive to sealed being > than ported for low end output.
db stands for Decibel which in an audio case is a means to measure SPL (Sound Pressure Level). Just because you can't hear those low frequencies doesn't mean it's not possible to measure them, they're still sound waves.
Never said that and completely agree and understand..

I used to be a "sealed only" type of guy for daily driver/SQ. What I've found is that some subs work better in sealed, and others in ported. Usually the woofers with loose suspension and low FS work better in sealed. A sub with a stiff suspension and a higher FS usually responds better in a vented (ported) box.

If you have a sub with a weak suspension or a high sensitivity, I prefer a sealed box. A typical sub used today, seems to respond better to vented unless its a specifically designed for sealed installations.

I have run several older sets of subs like SoundStream Pro 12's. When I had these in a ported box (designed for them), I noticed the low end would suffer and they would reach excursion a lot easier. When I used the same box but blocked the ports with plugs, the output was dramatically better and power handling went way up. Same subs, same box, only the porting was blocked.

I would definitely agree that for pure SPL/DB output a ported box can definitely put out more DB at its peak. Its hard to tune a ported box to a completely flat response compared to a sealed unless you keep it around 28hz...

Yes, I have a lower free air resonance on my sub as well as higher sens. every design software will tell you that Sealed is the way to go.. but can be used in ported.. but to be honest Ive sat besides alot of people.. RF to Kicker.. JL w7 and the sound from these sealed subs are far more commanding than most of the ported ones now I'm not saying they are the best nor the loudest.. but for my setup.. it aint no better for all around bass response and output.. plus commanding bassss

And I have a 97' QC D4x4

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.