TRYING TO LEARN MORE(technical).. INPUT NEEDED!!

Shadow Soldier

NEPA
Hey everyone, I am not quite a noob to these things but no where near an expert, I am trying to learn about the really techy details of my system, so I can optimize the amp and speaker settings. I have 2-12 inch db drive subs that are 4 ohm, dual voice coil, 750watt rms a peice. I have them wired parallel on a 1200watt mono amp that is 1ohm stable and capable of pushing 1200watts rms@1ohm. I am curious if someone can tell me what this all boils down to in laymans terms. Im decently capable of understanding technical things, but online searches have gotten me nowhere. I've already seized up an alternator running this system, so I now know I need a high output alt. and a stronger battery, and that capacitors are pointless.

1)I am wondering what it means to have the system wired in a 1ohm setup, and if it is possible for me to set my subs up this way because I am thinking less ohms is better because that means less resistence on the system putting less stress on the electrical system.

2)please let me know if any of the following is correct!So far from what I understand, my amp is pushing out 1200watts and since it is a mono amp the 2 speaker inputs are internally tied into a single channel. since the subs are 4ohms and have dual voice coils wired in parallel, they are each receiving 300 watts per voice coil (or 600 watts per subwoofer)

Now I also was wondering if there is a better way to wire the dvc's. I saw that I can wire them in a "series" pattern but from what I gathered that will divide the power even further and bring the ohms up. And if i'm correct the less ohms the better.

Please let me know if this is right, and if there is anything that im confused about or just plain wrong about.

say whaa.

1 ohm actually puts more stress on your electircal system. Your amp, if its even stable to run at 1 ohm, will be sending more power to the subs.

what kinda amp?

Hey everyone, I am not quite a noob to these things but no where near an expert, I am trying to learn about the really techy details of my system, so I can optimize the amp and speaker settings. I have 2-12 inch db drive subs that are 4 ohm, dual voice coil, 750watt rms a peice. I have them wired parallel on a 1200watt mono amp that is 1ohm stable and capable of pushing 1200watts rms@1ohm. I am curious if someone can tell me what this all boils down to in laymans terms. Im decently capable of understanding technical things, but online searches have gotten me nowhere. I've already seized up an alternator running this system, so I now know I need a high output alt. and a stronger battery, and that capacitors are pointless.
1)I am wondering what it means to have the system wired in a 1ohm setup, and if it is possible for me to set my subs up this way because I am thinking less ohms is better because that means less resistence on the system putting less stress on the electrical system.

2)please let me know if any of the following is correct!So far from what I understand, my amp is pushing out 1200watts and since it is a mono amp the 2 speaker inputs are internally tied into a single channel. since the subs are 4ohms and have dual voice coils wired in parallel, they are each receiving 300 watts per voice coil (or 600 watts per subwoofer)

Now I also was wondering if there is a better way to wire the dvc's. I saw that I can wire them in a "series" pattern but from what I gathered that will divide the power even further and bring the ohms up. And if i'm correct the less ohms the better.

Please let me know if this is right, and if there is anything that im confused about or just plain wrong about.
2xDVC4 ohm subs wire to a 4 ohm final load or a 1 ohm final load. You will want to wire the subs as they are in diagram #1. Each sub will see 600 watts or 300 per VC as you put it.

Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard

1 ohm is less resistance, but is more strain on your vehicle.

I've burnt out alt's before but never seized 1 up, I'd have to say it was gonna do that even if you did'nt have a system.

But yes you pretty much have what you mentioned about ohm's and loads correct.

What kind of amp do you have? And how did you set your gain?

As has been said earlier, 1ohm will put more strain on your system than 4ohm. What kind of amp do you have?

I'm running a db Drive pt1200.1d platinum series amp, with 2 db Drive pt12d4 platinum series subs in my '99 Mercury Cougar

DB DRIVE PT12D4 PLATINUM SERIES SUBWOOFER (12"- DUAL 4 )

DB DRIVE PT1200.1D 1200 Watt at 1 Ohm Platinum Series Class D Mono Subwoofer Amplifier

(i'll post some pics of my actual setup soon)

Thanks guys, I guess I already have it running at a 1 ohm final load. And from what I gather, this is the most power I can push from this amp to these subs...

More questions!----->

1) So the 1ohm setup puts more stress on the system, in a 4ohm wiring set up with this amp and subs, how many watts would each sub see?

2) my alternator was probably going to seize even without the system, do you think I am ok to play it loud without the new alternator getting damaged?

3) finally, I am having alot of trouble with the amps settings, I am trying to find the perfect settings for the dials but I cant seem to get the bass clear loud and powerful, this amp has alot going on:

Low Pass Frequency 50Hz-250Hz

Subsonic Filter Frequency 20Hz-50Hz (with on-off toggle)

Bass Boost 0db-12db

Input Level (beleive this to be gain) min-max

Any ideas on where to set these 4 at to optimize the sound and clarity would be greatly greatly appreciated.. I know this system has huge potential, and I want to bring it to life.

you want to wire your subs up to a 1 ohm load to the amp.

a 4 ohm load to your amp will probly only give off 400w total at the most and your subs will not work good off that low power.

it puts a strain on the electrical system because : your asking for alot of power.

1200w of power actually + how ever much power requirments your car already has to use the lights / headunit / electronic engine controls ext... bla bla bla.

you need something called a digital multi meter.

its the best tool you will own for car audio hands down.

also start learning / reading / understanding the flow of electricity - especialy dc power since we are in car audio - everything is dc 12 volts basicly...

but when the car is running - you actually should have 14.4 volts to keep the 12 volt battery charged.

electricity will flow from the path of least resistance

so

its now your job to build the electrical system of your car to flow a high amount of electricity with little resistance for both positive and negative

search up on the "big 3" and you will also have to take in to account that your car is a unibody viechle - made of manny pieces of formed metal that are spot welded to form the unibody construction - this is not exactly the best way to flow the negative side of electricity back up front to the battery / alternator - the path the negative will want to flow should be "eazy" for it to reach from where your amp is grounded in the trunk to reach up to the engine alternator - so when wiring it may be nessary to make multiple grounds - and possibly do a run of negative ground from your rear amp to your front battery - if indeed your car is not verry efficent at flowing negative electrical like my old 84 corvette was.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.