Trunk release also unlocks all doors

JamesBondo

I just had an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start system installed. It seems to work OK, except that the trunk release on the aftermarket remote also unlocks all the doors. The door lock button will not lock them back unless I press the unlock button first.

The trunk release on the factory remote still works as it should. Did the shop wire something wrong? It's a DEI Avital 4103LX system.

I'm depressed. I went out to find the factory trunk release wire, which the12volt said was in the driver's kick panel. The installer apparently stripped the wire back, wrapped a wire around it, and taped it. No crimp, no solder. This is supposed to be a high current wire :|

I disconnected the wire they fed in to my trunk release wire. The aftermarket trunk release still unlocked the doors. So they must have cross connected them further back. I was hoping the problem was just current feeding back into the factory control circuit, and that I could fix it with a diode. Should I take the car back to them or try to fix this myself?

I don't think you'll get better quality work by taking it back. Unless the owner doesn't sanction that kind of work and the installer was not following protocol. But no one can answer that question without knowing the reputation of the shop and the specifics of your installation.

Do you think they will make it right?

I don't think you'll get better quality work by taking it back. Unless the owner doesn't sanction that kind of work and the installer was not following protocol. But no one can answer that question without knowing the reputation of the shop and the specifics of your installation.
Do you think they will make it right?
My gut feeling is it would take a lot of verbal back and forth and strong insistence.

I decided to go exploring further anyways, and I managed to remove the trunk release output wire from the DEI harness, and then I plugged the main plug back into the brain. The trunk release button *still* unlocks all the doors. So now I'm really concerned. A short inside the brain?

The shop is nice when things go smoothly, but then I get most everyone is. I have a feeling they'll try real hard to brush me off or tell me to live with it if I take it back. :|

And the irony is I let them do it so I could save myself time.

I'm depressed. I went out to find the factory trunk release wire, which the12volt said was in the driver's kick panel. The installer apparently stripped the wire back, wrapped a wire around it, and taped it. No crimp, no solder. This is supposed to be a high current wire :|
I disconnected the wire they fed in to my trunk release wire. The aftermarket trunk release still unlocked the doors. So they must have cross connected them further back. I was hoping the problem was just current feeding back into the factory control circuit, and that I could fix it with a diode. Should I take the car back to them or try to fix this myself?
By law they have a legal obligation to fix it free of charge if it was done by a business.

By law they have a legal obligation to fix it free of charge if it was done by a business.
Perhaps. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen without significant difficulty, though.

I suppose I should at least give them the chance to make it right. I've put everything back together and I'll take it up there and see what they say.

Perhaps. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen without significant difficulty, though.
I suppose I should at least give them the chance to make it right. I've put everything back together and I'll take it up there and see what they say.
Threaten to take legal action if they dont fix it or refuse. I'm almost positive they will jump straight on it for 2 reasons. 1 it would be bad for their business. And 2 it would cost them a lot of money because if they dont fix it you can get your money back plus they would have to pay court costs after the situation is dealt with in a court

If you know how to go about it then its simple. 2 places would pursue the case for you if they refuse. Legal aid and your car insurance company. All you would have to do is explain everything to them and tell them the business didnt fix it or refused. They will then demand that the business fixes it if they dont they will take them to court for you and you will get your money back.

The only things you would have to do is explain the situation to 1 of the 2 above, show them what it does (for proof purposes) and possibly go to 1 court date.

Might have more to do with the vehicle and what sort of pulse (pulses?) through the system trigger which things to lock and unlock. Like some cars if you tap the unlock it just unlocks the driver's door but if you hold it for a second more or double tap it it'll unlock all the doors.

I know with many makes/models they just make an interface that taps into just 2 wires to the car's brain and the alarm/remote start controls that. Also sometimes there's options that need to be set correctly within the alarm/remote start/whatever to give the proper signal for which type of lock system you have.

Really you need to deal with someone who knows the product they're installing AND has experience with a lot of different vehicles to get the correct answer here. IMO if you paid a shop to do this they should make it work 100% correctly or pay for somebody who is competent to do so.

Im at the shop now. They said the issue was the car's factory alarm, and that the aftermarket trunk release tells the factory alarm to disarm and unlock the doors. They said they would put a different system in for an extra $30, no labor charge, and that it should fix the problem. I said OK. If it turns out OK, I'll be happy.

I'm still not sure what to make about the trunk release relay output wire just being twisted and taped around a stripped wire. That doesn't sit well with me. Am I overreacting or is that acceptable?

Im at the shop now. They said the issue was the car's factory alarm, and that the aftermarket trunk release tells the factory alarm to disarm and unlock the doors. They said they would put a different system in for an extra $30, no labor charge, and that it should fix the problem. I said OK. If it turns out OK, I'll be happy.
I'm still not sure what to make about the trunk release relay output wire just being twisted and taped around a stripped wire. That doesn't sit well with me. Am I overreacting or is that acceptable?
if they did a military splice by stripping back the wire than opening the wires making a small circle than inserting the wire in between the loop and twisting than it'll be fine. me personally i always put a little bit of solder to hold the wire together. that's a professionalism issue.

The one I've seen that is acceptable is to poke an awl through the center of the wire after it's stripped back so that you have a hold through the center of the strands, poke the wire you're trying to tap in through the hole, then wrap that and tape. That is a very secure connection and perfectly acceptable IMO. If they didn't do it that way, just pull the wire, poke the hole, thread it through, wind it around and tape. That + solder is even better, but just that is plenty solid and should never fail. Hope you can picture what I'm trying to describe.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

if they did a military splice by stripping back the wire than opening the wires making a small circle than inserting the wire in between the loop and twisting than it'll be fine. me personally i always put a little bit of solder to hold the wire together. that's a professionalism issue.
LOL. You said it in a lot fewer words.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.