troubleshooting odd audio issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

ingrjc1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello. I am working on my daughters 2010 RAV4 audio system issue. When we purchased the car, it had an aftermarket single DIN Alpine head unit installed that replaced factory. All speakers appear to be factory. All good for about 5 years. All of the sudden, all speakers stopped working except two front tweeters in front door pillar. All other speakers (one in each door) failed. No sound at all except for the tweeters. I assumed it was the head end and replaced it with a single DIN Kenwood. Same issue. Since I am not the original owner, I don't know if an amp may have been installed aftermarket and has failed. I cannot find evidence of one. My understanding is that this RAV4 came standard with 6 speaker system, but no amp. Front Tweeters wired off a crossover from the front door speakers. I have been posting on the Toyota forum and have found one identical issue and that user did replace all the speakers. Just seems odd that all the speakers (except the tweeters) would fail at one time. Nothing unusual going on with high volume or anything that I am aware of when they failed.

Any ideas? Any way to tell if there is an amp installed somewhere? Should I start with replacing one door speaker as a test?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

It does seem odd that all speakers would fail at the same time. I did have that happen with 2 door speakers in a 2005 Toyota Avalon. It still baffles me.... I would test speakers individually, if possible. If they work, continue to look for the amplifier.

If you can get the speakers out you can test them with a multimeter (you're looking for roughly 4 ohm between terminals) or you could use a flashlight battery and a couple small bits of wire to the tap the speaker terminals and see if it makes noise.

It seems unlikely all 4 speakers completely failed all at once but if you have ruled out the head unit as a culprit you're left with that or perhaps there is indeed a factory amp that failed and will need to be bypassed.

thanks. what was really odd is that all speakers worked one day. She get back in the car two days later and all four door speakers are dead. Tweeters worked. So it's not like they stopped working during use.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.