Too much amp draw?

osteologation

2011 Nissan Altima stock alternator. I did the big three and put in a 2.2 farad cap (I hear mixed reviews but it was fairly cheap so I did it). Amp is a kicker cx1200.1. Issue is when I'm driving and turn up the volume the car will start stuttering. This is more prevalent with rock music with the hard short hits I imagine dropping the voltage momentarily. It does dim the lights after a little while. Im pretty sure my alternator isn't keeping up but could this be a crap battery as well? I did leave my lights on for like an hour and the car wouldn't start which seems pretty likely the battery is on its way out.

Also my wiring kit came with a 60amp fuse and that amp has never blown it, also kind of makes me wonder.

wiring kit.............you mean those kits that say 4ga but the wire is actually 8ga cca? yeah.....
Well maybe but the wire is exactly the same size as the 4ga I bought from the local audio shop when I needed more to finish the installation.

Wouldn't bigger wire mean more flow? And therefore allowing more current to be ****** at once? If it's a small wire, wouldn't that just equal an overheating amp? Another battery definitely should help though. Also, ditch the cap....

Maybe your car doesnt like rock? JK Whats your voltage levels with the car resting and with it running? I would definately get the battery tested to make sure if its good or bad. Probably a good idea just to replace it anyway cuz if it wouldnt start the car after the lights being on for an hour I would think its bad already. Lots of mixed opinions on capacitors here. Personally if you are going for daily driver and not spl and you do drive the car almost every day I would say the cap can stay. Provided the cap is not the reason for the problem. If I had to take a guess outside of the battery being the issue, I would look into the grounds at the motor itself. Do resistance checks from the neg post to everywhere in the engine compartment. motor frame body all of it. I have seen bad motor grounds cause problems like this but they were typically mid 2000'2 vehicles.

My girlfriends car is a 2010 Altima with the 4cyl engine. It has a 110amp alternator and definitely has some pretty seriously voltage drop with a Hifonics GLX1400.1 and Cerwin Vega 4 channel. She's got a brand new slightly bigger than OEM duralast gold and 4 gauge wiring. I think those cars just don't have a lot of left over juice. Idk what to do in her case. Thought about a second battery but not sure if it'd help as I think the alternator is just too small. Her system is definitely pulling more than 60 amps though. Maybe a new battery (biggest you can get) would help in your case.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.