To Port or not to Port (sub box)

slaya786
10+ year member

ny
Hey guys, so i've got a 99 dodge dakota single cab, with very little interior room.

I just put a single 10" type r subwoofer, powered by a phoenix gold xenon 400 amp. The sub box is a sealed enclosure measuring .65 cu. The bass is alright to decent. It doesn't get really loud or hit extremely hard. (i figured 400rms would hit a lot harder.. but i guess not). It's like you can hear it, but not feel it what so ever.

I MAY be able to squeeze in another 10", or I could remake the box and port it. My question is, how much improvement would I see from porting the box. Also, if I was too add another 10" how would that compare.

I'm using 4awg ebay wiring kit (only going about 9feet). No way I can fit a 12, already tried.

Point being, I want to get more bass but am lacking space, so how should I go about this?

Thanks

it's a dakota single cab, not a ram.

I have a 12, and i made a custom box for it. measuring litteraly 12" wide. Did not fit between the seats.

how did you do it..

Oh, between the seats? Well yeah, the center console is only 10" wide.

I had two 12's, one behind each seat. Then this...

dscf3600o.jpg

Oh, the reason I didn't do it behind the seats is because i'm a little tall and already have a hard time with my seat being too close to the steering wheel. I couldn't live with having to move my seat up anymore than it is.

How much power can I give the type r safely. It is rated at 500w rms. Would i be able to give it like 600? if so, would 400 watts to 600 watts be a notifiable difference?

Oh, the reason I didn't do it behind the seats is because i'm a little tall and already have a hard time with my seat being too close to the steering wheel. I couldn't live with having to move my seat up anymore than it is.
How much power can I give the type r safely. It is rated at 500w rms. Would i be able to give it like 600? if so, would 400 watts to 600 watts be a notifiable difference?
Oh waaah. I'm 6'8" there buddy. If I could fit, you can fit. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

You've gotta be kidding me.. 6'8" and you can fit in there?? I guess that's you.. not me. Maybe cuz I have a clutch and need more space? I dont know.

Seems like porting it will be the way to go. How much louder and deeper can I except the bass to be from my current .65cu sealed to a ported box?

thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.