To Capicitor or Not To Capacitor?

Participant count
  • Participant list
If you are asking this because your lights are dimming, then yes a capacitor can help your problem, you will still have some dimming, but not as bad. The downside to this is that you can burn-up your altenator quicker. If you go out and get a bigger altenator then it will fix your problem. My advice would be, get a capacitor, if your altenator goes, then get a bigger one, but it's hard to tell how long it will last. So depending on how bad your problem is, you could probably save the extra money and just get a capacitor and play the wait-n-see game. Later

A capacitor will only benefit you if your charging system is free from problems. If your lights are dimming- a cap is only a band-aid to a larger problem- the car not being able to produce enough current. The system is only as good as its weakest link, replacing the alternator with a higher output model would be the better way to go.

take it easy,

-zane

Ok, well I do not have it all put in yet, so I do not know about the lights and all. I am now thinking of HE2s for subs, guess I will just wait and see what happens. Its a 136amp alternator, is that a big one? I think the next option was like a 160amp.

on a new vehical like that with a good alternator their shouldnt be any pro even more so cuz your not pushing that much power.

later

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.