To Battery, or Not To Battery...

Participant count
  • Participants list

MuNchiezzz

CarAudio.com Recruit
I have a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan that is equipped with VMI conversion (wheelchair accessible ramp). I'm not quite sure of the alternator size but I'm pretty sure its bigger to handle the extra electrical.

Anyways, at what point do I need to look into adding an extra battery? I'm undecided whether I'm running 2 12s at 5000 watts or if I'll run 1 12 at 2000-3000 watts. It kind of depends on if I can figure out a box for the space. I'll be doing big 3 for sure.

Also what is a good battery to put under the hood to upgrade? Is it the Optima Yellow Top?

Anything over 1200 watts RMS. Optimas are not good batteries any more. Northstar, XS power, or a Duracell platinum AGM from Sams club for a good budget AGM.
I don't know much about the different battery types at all. Im assuming the kind of battery that goes under the hood is different from the kind you run as auxiliary inside your vehicle correct?

Anything over 1200 watts RMS. Optimas are not good batteries any more. Northstar, XS power, or a Duracell platinum AGM from Sams club for a good budget AGM.

Where do you get the 1200w figure from? I only ever ran a single Sam's club AGM in the stock location when I was running roughly 2500w total power for demos or about 1500w on music daily. Granted, I was running an Mmats sub amp and a Zed stage amp, but 185a alternator with the Sam's battery and voltage stayed around 14.2 under demo loads.

I don't know much about the different battery types at all. Im assuming the kind of battery that goes under the hood is different from the kind you run as auxiliary inside your vehicle correct?

Nah. Just don't want to run a non sealed lead acid inside a vehicle. AGMs are the most common.

Nah.
Where do you get the 1200w figure from? I only ever ran a single Sam's club AGM in the stock location when I was running roughly 2500w total power for demos or about 1500w on music daily. Granted, I was running an Mmats sub amp and a Zed stage amp, but 185a alternator with the Sam's battery and voltage stayed around 14.2 under demo loads.

1200-1500rms has been the stock electrical figure forever.

Nah. Just don't want to run a non sealed lead acid inside a vehicle. AGMs are the most common.
I read somewhere...

XS Power D3400 in the front!
XS Power D3100 in the back!

I dont think I'll need a rear battery but looking into it to be prepared just in case. But definitely want to upgrade the battery under the hood.

Nah.

1200-1500rms has been the stock electrical figure forever.

Huh, thats news to me. I always heard do the big 3 and put an AGM in the stock location. My stock alt was 160a, I just grabbed a "HD" alt from autozone way back when. I guess the math checks out tho.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.