Tired of blowing amps

Get eyes on your amp when it's acting up before you start throwing money at it. See what the lights are doing and measure voltage at the power input.

What's the installer's opinion of what's going on? Did you purchase your gear through the same shop? If not, they might not be too helpful, but it's worth asking.

I would also reach out to the amp manufacturers. Most electronics come with a year warranty, if that turns out to be the problem.

Good luck.

Get eyes on your amp when it's acting up before you start throwing money at it. See what the lights are doing and measure voltage at the power input.

What's the installer's opinion of what's going on? Did you purchase your gear through the same shop? If not, they might not be too helpful, but it's worth asking.

I would also reach out to the amp manufacturers. Most electronics come with a year warranty, if that turns out to be the problem.

Good luck.
I wouldn't really call it throwing money at it
Big three and an AGM is pretty much necessary on 3K
Even if that amp is only putting out half of that its still something that should be done
OP- I did the big three and upgraded my battery and my amp is only ratted for 1750 watts

Last edited:
I wouldn't really call it throwing money at it
Big three and an AGM is pretty much necessary on 3K
Even if that amp is only putting out half of that its still something that should be done
OP- I did the big three and upgraded my battery and my amp is only ratted for 1750 watts
It's throwing money at it because it might not fix the issue. It's a guess at a solution, whereas it's incredibly easy to confirm or rule that out as the cause. I bet a 2019 has a decent electrical system from the factory.

It's throwing money at it because it might not fix the issue. It's a guess at a solution, whereas it's incredibly easy to confirm or rule that out as the cause. I bet a 2019 has a decent electrical system from the factory.
Your right
It might not fix the problem
But IMO it was something that should have been done anyway so...
From 3000 miles away without getting hands on troubleshooting is more about eliminating what's not the problem.
The OP seems to be having power issues
Because its a 2019 you think that the stock electrical will be able to handle 3000K
I'm not even going to debate it.
I've seen enough of your posts to know that you have ample knowledge about car audio and know damn well that's BS
I seems to me that your just trying to be argumentative

So if the big 3 isnt my issue, what is. I have appointment tomorrow for that to get fixed

Your issue is likely voltage dropping too low (which has been said). Seems to be the issue since heavy bass drops cut out. Doing the big 3/4 and an agm battery under the hood should fix any voltage issues you’re having (if that is what’s happening).

What about the amp settings? Is the gain where it needs to be or maxed out? Is the bass boost off or full blast?

The gain isnt all the way up, maybe 3/4 the way, yes I have the bass knob all the way up, even changed the speakers fro. 1 to 4ohm. When I went to the shop today, he asked me why i think the voltage is dropping when the voltage meter in the car doesn't move from.the position it's in.

When I went to the shop today, he asked me why i think the voltage is dropping when the voltage meter in the car doesn't move from.the position it's in.
I am an amp hoarder and set up shop in the house often to just jam out a bit. I use only a flooded car battery for power. When the voltage drops enough, I get the exact symptoms as in your first post. Anything past 1/4 volume will cut in and out then shut off. I recharge and everything is right as rain.

When I went to the shop today, he asked me why i think the voltage is dropping when the voltage meter in the car doesn't move from.the position it's in.
On another note, the amp needs a bigger ground than the voltmeter. So even if voltage reads the same does not mean the amp is recieving full power, which is volts and amps.

The gain isnt all the way up, maybe 3/4 the way, yes I have the bass knob all the way up, even changed the speakers fro. 1 to 4ohm. When I went to the shop today, he asked me why i think the voltage is dropping when the voltage meter in the car doesn't move from.the position it's in.
This is exactly why you need to do some troubleshooting. Ideally, you should measure voltage at your amp's power terminals when it cuts out, but at a minimum watch the status lights on your amp when it cuts out.

That way you have better footing when asked how you came to your hypothesis. I can only imagine how annoying it is for an installer to hear, "the internet said so".

On a sidenote: the battery gauge in your instrument cluster doesn't measure at the amp. Any voltage drop between the battery/alternator and the amp won't show up on your gauge, meaning a poor ground, corroded power wire, et cetera, will mess with your amp but won't necessarily show up on your gauge.

This is speculation, but another possibility is that your gauge is a digital gauge that is meant to look like an analog reading to give drivers peace-of-mind, like how some oil pressure "gauges" are actually just a digital pressure switch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.