Thoughts on using sand as a filler in an enclosure.

After a lot of though, and research. Here is how i'm going to do it. Make a correct size box for the subs. Then, place that box inside a larger box, and fill with sand. This oughta deaden it to the extreme.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

some simple internal bracing, or doubling up some mdf should stop that.
Just use dowels you terd. Two MTX 6000's will not tear your box apart if you use 3/4 to 1 inch MDF on your build. And if you want to be safe add like 4 3/4 to 1 inch dowels and you will be set. Sand is a retarded waste of time and effort. And your sure to get //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/waycrazy.gif.f4a380c3f94043939fd369defd9e6be2.gif this where ever you go.

True. I suppose i forgot to mention that i plan on upgrading to something much more powerful in the future. I'm not sure what kind of subs though. I'm open to suggestions.

True. I suppose i forgot to mention that i plan on upgrading to something much more powerful in the future. I'm not sure what kind of subs though. I'm open to suggestions.
Well now that that is clear, What are you looking for. Pure SPL for comps. A great sounding driver that can get real loud, Uber loud but decent sound.

Basically

SQ

SPL

SQL

if you truely insist on using sand, first you must use some type of clear siding, whether it is lexan or plexi, i dont care i just want to see a video of the sand inside the box when playing. the other thing i would suggest is inverting the sub. even if you use some type of screen, it is still a lesser chance of sand getting in an essential mechanical part of the motor structure.

Why not put the sand in the bottom of the enclosure, then put another piece of mdf on top of that but leave some room for sand movement. Im not saying it will work, I just want to see what it will actually do. Or you could just lay a thick layer of polyfill over the top of the sand...

Ditch the sand...

use 1.5" thick layered MDF, resin over it, and use 1/4" allthread rod through it. Trust me, you won't need sand...and it won't flex.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.