Thoughts on 10 inch subwoofer.

Original wis

CarAudio.com Regular
Ok, so I'm kind of back at the drawing board on this. I originally went with 4 CT Sounds Tropo 10 on a Taramps Smart 3 but I have an opportunity to do a massive upgrade because reasons.

I have 4 to 4.8 cubic feet of air space.
My budget is $500 bucks maximum for each sub, or $2,000 max.
I have electrical infrastructure to support up to 7,000 watts.

I'm not doing 2 12's, 1 15, or any setup that's outside of my current interest. I've done those already. I'm trying something different this time.

I've looked at the following:
Sae and U series from Sundown
DC Audio level 3 and 4
B2 audio riot
DD audio Psw

American bass, Kicker, Skar, Def Bonce, Memphis, Toro, Massive won't fit.

Part of the reason for my indecision on the subject is that I don't want to spend $2,000 on a set of subwoofers without getting some opinions and doing some research into the purchase to make sure that I don't have buyers remorse 6 months down the line

Goal is to keep the system for the foreseeable future. The problem that I've had is that I haven't been able to build loud enough so that I don't outgrow it in 3-6 months. Pretty much everything I've heard under 2k watts hasn't done it. My buddy has a Sundown zv6 15 on a T 2500bdcp right now and it's not even close to what I'm looking for.

For those who don't like loud b/c reasons, keep in mind that I don't play loud in parking lots of neighborhoods. Only streets and highways 2+ miles away from home. Besides that being an inconsiderate move, I don't see the benefit of announcing to everyone living near me that there's goodies for the taking. Everyone has their own level of tolerance for loud, and I know that mines doesn't mesh well with sound quality.

So, that's the needle that I'm looking for in the hay stack. Any thoughts?

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE. I'm planning to aeroport directly into the cab, subs mounted on top.

I actually looked at a few SQ subwoofers as well. I'm not sure how loud they can get, but 4 of the right one might work. Just not sure which one.

My friends car is a Hummer H3, the mini one.

Last edited:
Trunk cars are always at a disadvantage even the small economy types. A single open cabin like an suv or hatchback will have the advantage.

That being said if a setup knocking on the door of 150db output isn't enough to make you say a safety word then you're probably looking for 4 10s with 3 inch coils and suspensions stiffer than the backhand of an Oakland pimp along with a 5 or 6k amp to get your fix.

Trunk cars are always at a disadvantage even the small economy types. A single open cabin like an suv or hatchback will have the advantage.

That being said if a setup knocking on the door of 150db output isn't enough to make you say a safety word then you're probably looking for 4 10s with 3 inch coils and suspensions stiffer than the backhand of an Oakland pimp along with a 5 or 6k amp to get your fix.
Zv6 15's push 150 db?

Depends on which subs I go with. If I go DC I'll probably get the DC 5K. Otherwise I'll match to what I end up getting.
Ive been looking at these in the 12" version, or the Icons

Ive been looking at these in the 12" version, or the Icons

Been looking at these. They look like the perfect solution. SPL with SQ.

And I'm getting the JP43 D4S amp to match. It has a damping factor of 400. Paired with the Adire subs it should sound pretty nice.

Last edited:

And I'm getting the JP43 D4S amp to match. It has a damping factor of 400. Paired with the Adire subs it should sound pretty nice.
Ive heard those subs are really nice. I was looking to buy an 8 just to see how well the sub performs.

Your airspace is going to hold you back. 4 - 10's or 2 - 12's is your best choice IMO. If you have the change I would go with 4 American Bass HD10's on a DC10K Pitbull in a ported box tuned to 32-34hz. and hold on. Your electrical better be straight. 4.8 cubes is tight but should be feasible.

Your airspace is going to hold you back. 4 - 10's or 2 - 12's is your best choice IMO. If you have the change I would go with 4 American Bass HD10's on a DC10K Pitbull in a ported box tuned to 32-34hz. and hold on. Your electrical better be straight. 4.8 cubes is tight but should be feasible.
4.8 is enough for a sub compact. 4 10's will make up way more cone area than 2 12's or 1 15 in the same amount of airspace. If not the Adire subs then I'm going DC Audio level 4's.

Savard Hi-Q 10 is a banging little 10 inch woofer. 4 of those on a strong 6k+ would be a system I’d like to hear. Its one of the better sounding 10s I’ve heard. The Adire and DC are also very good choices. Adire has been a solid performer for years. I’ve never used DC, but they look really nice too.

Savard Hi-Q 10 is a banging little 10 inch woofer. 4 of those on a strong 6k+ would be a system I’d like to hear. Its one of the better sounding 10s I’ve heard. The Adire and DC are also very good choices. Adire has been a solid performer for years. I’ve never used DC, but they look really nice too.
Update:

I'm going b***s to the wall and doing 4 12's. I really didn't want to even though I have the space because I thought that would be just like, beyond stupid dumb crazy. Then I realized that Steve Meade has 6 12's and one Tahoe and 2 24's in another.

So duck it, we're doing it. Thinking 4 level 4's on 6k

Screenshot_20220928-142725_Ultimate Car Audio App.jpgScreenshot_20220928-142731_Ultimate Car Audio App.jpg

Lewis King

Ok, so I'm kind of back at the drawing board on this. I originally went with 4 CT Sounds Tropo 10 on a Taramps Smart 3 but I have an opportunity to do a massive upgrade because reasons.

I have 4 to 4.8 cubic feet of air space.
My budget is $500 bucks maximum for each sub, or $2,000 max.
I have electrical infrastructure to support up to 7,000 watts.

I'm not doing 2 12's, 1 15, or any setup that's outside of my current interest. I've done those already. I'm trying something different this time.

I've looked at the following:
Sae and U series from Sundown
DC Audio level 3 and 4
B2 audio riot
DD audio Psw

American bass, Kicker, Skar, Def Bonce, Memphis, Toro, Massive won't fit.

Part of the reason for my indecision on the subject is that I don't want to spend $2,000 on a set of subwoofers without getting some opinions and doing some research into the purchase to make sure that I don't have buyers remorse 6 months down the line

Goal is to keep the system for the foreseeable future. The problem that I've had is that I haven't been able to build loud enough so that I don't outgrow it in 3-6 months. Pretty much everything I've heard under 2k watts hasn't done it. My buddy has a Sundown zv6 15 on a T 2500bdcp right now and it's not even close to what I'm looking for.

For those who don't like loud b/c reasons, keep in mind that I don't play loud in parking lots of neighborhoods. Only streets and highways 2+ miles away from home. Besides that being an inconsiderate move, I don't see the benefit of announcing to everyone living near me that there's goodies for the taking. Everyone has their own level of tolerance for loud, and I know that mines doesn't mesh well with sound quality.

So, that's the needle that I'm looking for in the hay stack. Any thoughts?
With the space that you have available, the dc audio 10s would do well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...