The truth about rockford fosgate

I think RF makes great amps and are pricey but their amps are great. However, the other day I put a new RF P1000X1BD with the new clean setup on 2 ohms on my 2 Kicker CVRs 10s sealed in my Z and set the amp using the test tones and the amp was not clipping. BTW. the birthsheet rating of the 1000X1BD at 2 ohms was 884 watts. No bass boost was used on the amp and the bass was at 0 and the output was not satisfying. I had to turn the bass boost on my Kenwood on and turn the bass to +3 to get some decent output. Now I am driving to work and I put my 2 Kicker ZX amps back in storage in the garage and decided last Friday to pull out the ZX750.1 and try it on my 2 CVRs. I reconnected it and it sounded like a god damned explosion. The gain was all the way down, the bass boost on my Kenwood had to be turned off and the bass was put to -3 and the output was at least 40% if not more on my 2 subs than when the RF P1000X1BD was hooked up.
I did the same experiment with my T1500-1BDCP and my ZX 1500.1 and the BDCP hung in there a little better but the bass with the ZX is more full and hits more frequency spectrums and generally has more output. I am a long time RF user since 1989 but I have to start questioning their recent birthsheet ratings because after what I experienced they don't mean sh*t to me anymore. Even my Audioque 2200D at 2 ohms wasn't as strong as the Kicker but was stronger than the T1500-1BDCP.

I am not posting this thread to bash RF because I like their company but hate those **** birthsheets. I have questions that were answered but I don't like the results.
I could right a book about why I hate RF

I will say this though about the new RF P400X4 and P600X4. The sound is flat and RF heard their customer's complaints about the treble boost on their 2 and 4 channels and the sound is flat. Their 4 channels are vastly improved.

I will say this though about the new RF P400X4 and P600X4. The sound is flat and RF heard their customer's complaints about the treble boost on their 2 and 4 channels and the sound is flat. Their 4 channels are vastly improved.
At least they did something besides woory about off road race trucks and concerts. Somebody ask why they dont use the power subs in the demo van. Guy said they wanted to show you can get good bass from lower level subs... They only use like 20 low level subs

i think the message here is that you like higher THD to get more output.

you set up the amp to provide a clean signal but wanted more. so you hooked up a ZX without knowing how much distortion it produced (likely a lot more).

it's not a fair comparison until you have a way to compare THD of both scenarios.

Also, i believe that the RF accepts a higher input voltage than the ZX so gain position (max or min) is relative and you should report on what input voltage each amp was set on.

saying one amp was louder than the other doesn't tell us how much more distortion was present. and you won't be able to discern that with your ears.

not knocking you and i'm not a RF nut-hugger, but i'm just being an objective observer and commenting that this was not a scientific experiment and the results are not quantifiable.

i think the message here is that you like higher THD to get more output.
you set up the amp to provide a clean signal but wanted more. so you hooked up a ZX without knowing how much distortion it produced (likely a lot more).

it's not a fair comparison until you have a way to compare THD of both scenarios.

Also, i believe that the RF accepts a higher input voltage than the ZX so gain position (max or min) is relative and you should report on what input voltage each amp was set on.

saying one amp was louder than the other doesn't tell us how much more distortion was present. and you won't be able to discern that with your ears.

not knocking you and i'm not a RF nut-hugger, but i'm just being an objective observer and commenting that this was not a scientific experiment and the results are not quantifiable.
True, as the ZX series amps are a far cry from the old KX or SX series amps, but it is still a pretty clean amp.

There is also a reason I collect Kicker amps, and not RF, though.

True, as the ZX series amps are a far cry from the old KX or SX series amps, but it is still a pretty clean amp.
There is also a reason I collect Kicker amps, and not RF, though.
I am with you on this wickedwitt. What is your reason?

I am with you on this wickedwitt. What is your reason?
Dollar for dollar some of the best efficiency while keeping damping, bullet proof amps out there. The stuff they built from the early 90s all the way up to about 2006 is phenomenal. To match the performance, you would pay significantly higher to get a good zenon board amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.