help with amp after adjusting gain with multimeter

GoBucks!
10+ year member

I adjusted the gain on my RE Audio DTS 1000.1 with a multimeter. Square root of 330 watts @ 4 ohm load= 36.33 VAC. Used a 60 Hz tone with no bass boost, low pass filter set to highest, sub sonic set to lowest, head unit at 75% volume and a flat curve for the EQ.

After adjusting, the gain is only about 1/3 and my Image Dynamics ID8v2 is not very loud.

Thoughts? Should I increase the gain and tune by ear?

Do you know what dB level the test tone was recorded at? If it was 0 or -2dB, then you can turn it up some more. Most music isn't recorded at -2dB or higher.

Do you know what dB level the test tone was recorded at? If it was 0 or -2dB, then you can turn it up some more. Most music isn't recorded at -2dB or higher.
IMO, -5dB test tone should be a safe. I my view:

Well recorded music: peaks rarely reach but never exceed -10dB

"Loud" record: peaks reach -5dB

Very rare, plain badly recorded not worth listening: peaks frequenctly reach well above -5dB

IMO, -5dB test tone should be a safe. I my view:
Well recorded music: peaks rarely reach but never exceed -10dB

"Loud" record: peaks reach -5dB

Very rare, plain badly recorded not worth listening: peaks frequenctly reach well above -5dB
That's good to know for a rule of thumb at least.

Have you ever listened to the Red Hot Chili Pepper's album Blood Sugar *** Magik? I always knew it was quieter and lacked bass so I finally put a song in audacity and it's at like -30dB. I was like wtf? It still has really sucky bass though. They really messed up mixing/recording, but the songs are so good!

First off use -5 DB 80hz tone.

Most people recommend 85% volume.

I recommend getting the arm nano oscope for 60 bucks and test for clipping. You may be robbing yourself assuming.

My head unit clips at 61/62 , wouldn't know this if not using an oscope.

also you could be clipping the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.