The truth about rockford fosgate

The only thing that would happen if I increased the voltage is that I could have easily driven the RF amp to clip a whole lot easier.
No, what he's saying is your non-sensitive RF input would finally get enough signal for it to make the amount of power it should be making.

The only thing that would happen if I increased the voltage is that I could have easily driven the RF amp to clip a whole lot easier.
You'd be surprised at the audible difference between driving the shit out of the input stage and not touching the gain at all vs. feeding it a few volts and having to use the gain to reach power. And I know you're old school so I hope I don't sound condescending.

You'd be surprised at the audible difference between driving the shit out of the input stage and not touching the gain at all vs. feeding it a few volts and having to use the gain to reach power. And I know you're old school so I hope I don't sound condescending.
That is completely understandable and you do not sound condescending. I would believe that if I didn't do a comparison of my kicker zx 1500.1 vs rf t1500-1bdcp both rated the same with 5 volt inputs.

That is completely understandable and you do not sound condescending. I would believe that if I didn't do a comparison of my kicker zx 1500.1 vs rf t1500-1bdcp both rated the same with 5 volt inputs.
Yeah, it seems that would be a pretty good match-up for comparison.

I have an Audiocontrol Matrix in both of my cars so I control how much voltage that comes from the Matrix to the amps. I don't use the gains on the amps. The gain was set on the RF using the new test tone CD that they provide and they have an input and output clipping light on the amp. Neither light on the P1000X1BD was flashing when I set the gains. I made no changes to the input signal coming from my matrix when I re-installed the ZX750.1. In fact the gain knob on the top of the amp is at zero with no bass boost and the output was 40% higher. THD increases on amps when the gain is moved up. The ZX750.1 again has the gain level set to zero (all the way to the left) under the same voltage and with a 2 ohm load coming from the 2 CVRs. So no I don't have a higher THD from the Kicker ZX750.1.
No I do not like higher THD at the sacrifice of more bass. I would rather pay for an amp with more power than my speakers are rated for to keep my gains at a minimum.
Still have to match gain from the line driver to the amp.

That's where my AudioControl matrix comes in. But to answer your question, the Kicker has an input sensitivity up to 5 volts, the RF up to 12 volts. This new RF has a clipping light and was tuned exactly before clipping.
This proves my previous statement.

I have an Audiocontrol Matrix in both of my cars so I control how much voltage that comes from the Matrix to the amps. I don't use the gains on the amps. The gain was set on the RF using the new test tone CD that they provide and they have an input and output clipping light on the amp. Neither light on the P1000X1BD was flashing when I set the gains. I made no changes to the input signal coming from my matrix when I re-installed the ZX750.1. In fact the gain knob on the top of the amp is at zero with no bass boost and the output was 40% higher. THD increases on amps when the gain is moved up. The ZX750.1 again has the gain level set to zero (all the way to the left) under the same voltage and with a 2 ohm load coming from the 2 CVRs. So no I don't have a higher THD from the Kicker ZX750.1.
No I do not like higher THD at the sacrifice of more bass. I would rather pay for an amp with more power than my speakers are rated for to keep my gains at a minimum.
thanks for clarifying. you can't say 40% higher without measuring the difference.

THD has nothing to do with gain setting and everything to do with power output. gain is relative it's simply input sensitivity. "gain at zero" is a useless statement "gain set at ##V" is more accurate but still says nothing about THD since each amp has a different THD curve at any power output. In your case, it would be Gain at 5V on the ZX. you won't set the RF gains at minimum if you have a 5V output source.

you cannot make a statement about THD without measuring it. both amps are rated at 14.4VDC

all your test says is that the RF amp you tested accepts a higher level input than the Kicker amp you tested, and the gain setting on the RF provided less amplification. RF accepts 12V while the ZX accepts 5V (low level). if you meter the outputs and make them equal, then the output will be equal.

my experience with RF is that they rely on you using the remote knob and their bass boost to get rated output from the amp. that always bugged me and isn't listed in their specs (that i've seen).

thoughts?

thanks for clarifying. you can't say 40% higher without measuring the difference.
THD has nothing to do with gain setting and everything to do with power output. gain is relative it's simply input sensitivity. "gain at zero" is a useless statement "gain set at ##V" is more accurate but still says nothing about THD since each amp has a different THD curve at any power output. In your case, it would be Gain at 5V on the ZX. you won't set the RF gains at minimum if you have a 5V output source.

you cannot make a statement about THD without measuring it. both amps are rated at 14.4VDC

all your test says is that the RF amp you tested accepts a higher level input than the Kicker amp you tested, and the gain setting on the RF provided less amplification. RF accepts 12V while the ZX accepts 5V (low level). if you meter the outputs and make them equal, then the output will be equal.

my experience with RF is that they rely on you using the remote knob and their bass boost to get rated output from the amp. that always bugged me and isn't listed in their specs (that i've seen).

thoughts?
Whatever the case, I can hear a huge difference between the P1000X1BD and ZX750.1. For your information, the gain on the RF amp was almost at 3/4 before the clipping light came on. I have a DMM but didn't feel like using it. The RF amps that I used were the t1000-1bd, t1500-1bdcp and p1000X1bd. They all fell short. My original statement is that now I find rf birthsheets to be suspect and I will stick by that.

Whatever the case, I can hear a huge difference between the P1000X1BD and ZX750.1. For your information, the gain on the RF amp was almost at 3/4 before the clipping light came on. I have a DMM but didn't feel like using it. The RF amps that I used were the t1000-1bd, t1500-1bdcp and p1000X1bd. They all fell short. My original statement is that now I find rf birthsheets to be suspect and I will stick by that.
This is hilarious. You start a "Truth about RF" thread, yet have ZERO evidence to back up your "findings." Apparently because "you didn't feel like it." Yet you continue to backhandedly praise RF. I'm confused.

Their birthsheets are suspect, yet you didn't clamp. You say 40% more output; except that- that would indicate the very smallest increase in sound pressure that we can detect. Yet you go on to say that the 40% increase is a huge difference in output.

Several people in here have pointed out already that gain position is an absolutely useless indicator without a reference voltage. And your insistance on alluding to gain position is a discredit to your conclusions.

Basically... you are stating opinions. Which you are certainly entitled to do. But I see no truth in here other than the points made by everyone else.

And this vvvvv

Clipping indicators on amps are useless.

This is hilarious. You start a "Truth about RF" thread, yet have ZERO evidence to back up your "findings." Apparently because "you didn't feel like it." Yet you continue to backhandedly praise RF. I'm confused.
Their birthsheets are suspect, yet you didn't clamp. You say 40% more output; except that- that would indicate the very smallest increase in sound pressure that we can detect. Yet you go on to say that the 40% increase is a huge difference in output.

Several people in here have pointed out already that gain position is an absolutely useless indicator without a reference voltage. And your insistance on alluding to gain position is a discredit to your conclusions.

Basically... you are stating opinions. Which you are certainly entitled to do. But I see no truth in here other than the points made by everyone else.

And this vvvvv
You my friend are a clown. I am not going to sit here and argue with you. My ears dont lie and regardless of what you say, I can tell the difference between more and less power and bass in my system. I am not some 22 year old who turns up the bass boost to maximum and makes stupid comparisons. LIKE I SAID BEFORE WHEN I CONNECTED THE RF P1000X1BD TO MY SUBS! IT TOOK A LOT OF WORK TO GET SOME DECENT BASS OUT OF MY SYSTEM. AS SOON AS I DISCONNECTED THE RF AND CONNECTED THE ZX 750.1AND LISTENED TO THE SAME TRACK THERE WAS A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN BASS. IS THAT TOO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND. DO YOU WANT ME TO EXPLAIN IT TO YOU LIKE A FIFTH GRADER. MORE BASS. THE GAIN ON THE RF AMP WAS 3/4 OF THE WAY SET RIGHT BEFORE CLIPPING. I USED A DMM TO SET THE ZX750.1 A WHILE BACK BEFORE I DISCONNECTED THE AMP. EVERYTHING WAS SET ON THE ZX750.1. I DIDN'T THINK I NEEDED A DMM WITH THE RF AMP BECAUSE IT HAS IT'S OWN CLIPPING INDICATOR. CLIPPING INDICATOR'S ARE NOT ENTIRELY USELESS. "THAT MY FRIEND IS A GENERALIZATION". ALL I STATED IS THAT RF BIRTHSHEETS ARE PROVEN TO ME TO BE USELESS. THEIR MONOBLOCK AMPS DISSAPOINTED ME. DOES THAT SOUND LIKE I AM PRAISING THEM? IF YOU CAN'T ACCEPT THAT THEN TOO F67CKIN BAD.

EITHER YOU ARE A RF NUTHUGGER OR ARE VERY STUPID.

You my friend are a clown. I am not going to sit here and argue with you. My ears dont lie and regardless of what you say, I can tell the difference between more and less power and bass in my system. I am not some 22 year old who turns up the bass boost to maximum and makes stupid comparisons. LIKE I SAID BEFORE WHEN I CONNECTED THE RF P1000X1BD TO MY SUBS! IT TOOK A LOT OF WORK TO GET SOME DECENT BASS OUT OF MY SYSTEM. AS SOON AS I DISCONNECTED THE RF AND CONNECTED THE ZX 750.1AND LISTENED TO THE SAME TRACK THERE WAS A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN BASS. IS THAT TOO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND. DO YOU WANT ME TO EXPLAIN IT TO YOU LIKE A FIFTH GRADER. MORE BASS. THE GAIN ON THE RF AMP WAS 3/4 OF THE WAY SET RIGHT BEFORE CLIPPING. I USED A DMM TO SET THE ZX750.1 A WHILE BACK BEFORE I DISCONNECTED THE AMP. EVERYTHING WAS SET ON THE ZX750.1. I DIDN'T THINK I NEEDED A DMM WITH THE RF AMP BECAUSE IT HAS IT'S OWN CLIPPING INDICATOR. CLIPPING INDICATOR'S ARE NOT ENTIRELY USELESS. "THAT MY FRIEND IS A GENERALIZATION". ALL I STATED IS THAT RF BIRTHSHEETS ARE PROVEN TO ME TO BE USELESS. THEIR MONOBLOCK AMPS DISSAPOINTED ME. DOES THAT SOUND LIKE I AM PRAISING THEM? IF YOU CAN'T ACCEPT THAT THEN TOO F67CKIN BAD.
EITHER YOU ARE A RF NUTHUGGER OR ARE VERY STUPID.
I'll put it nicely by saying that you have a lot to learn my friend.

I'll put it nicely by saying that you have a lot to learn my friend.
A lot to learn. I have never blown an amp or subs since 1989, well educated, married with a house and kids. Coming from a 24 yr old you sound like an idiot. I don't mind intense discussions and disagreements but once insults come out that's a different story. Especially coming from some 24 yr. old kid.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.