The Official Type R Thread

Hey I was just about to revive this thread too. Sorry I won't be able to help you hunter, I have a question of my own.

I have 1 10" (last years model) dual 2 sub and I built a crappy custom box. I honestly can't give many spec on the current box because I don't remember and won't measure it right now. Maybe tomorrow night. I think it is tuned close to 36 hz and it's vented.

I have an audiopipe ap15001d amp. Currently set up at 4 ohms. Also my wiring kit is currently a rockford 8 gauge, but my knu 4 kit is in the mail and should be here friday. The amp is under the front seat of my toyota highlander and there is a 10 foot 12 gauge speaker wire lead feeding the sub. And it is just not loud enough. When I get the new wire kit I will be moving the amp next to the sub box.

Ok, so now you all know my deal, so what I would like now is some help with the box. I will be building a new one soon, but need to get either some plans or a good idea for this thing. I would really like to do a sealed enclosure to conserve space, but I have heard that these subs really like ports. But if I stick to the recomended enclosure specs will it be ok? (When I say ok I mean optimal) so lets hear some ideas or let me know if you have a good enclosure idea.

Also, I know these things can take massive amounts of power. Will I be ok to run it at 1 ohm with 1500 watts on stock electrical and a 4 gauge wiring kit? Please help!

hey guys, i'm lookin to pick up just 1 12in. type R 1223 (2010 model) what's the biggest size enclosure this would work in? i know alpine spec.'s it at 1.9 but i know those #'s are never etched in stone either. can i run this in a 4.1 cu. ft. box or will this be too big? another question i have. if i get the 2ohm model, can i still run it at 2ohms? or is it only 1 ohm or 4 ohm? i've head yes and no to this. or should i just get the dual 4ohm? thanx for any input fellas

hey guys, i'm lookin to pick up just 1 12in. type R 1223 (2010 model) what's the biggest size enclosure this would work in? i know alpine spec.'s it at 1.9 but i know those #'s are never etched in stone either. can i run this in a 4.1 cu. ft. box or ? another question i have. if i get the 2ohm model, can i still run it at 2ohms? or is it only 1 ohm or 4 ohm? i've head yes and no to this. or should i just get the dual 4ohm? thanx for any input fellas

hey guys, i'm lookin to pick up just 1 12in. type R 1223 (2010 model) what's the biggest size enclosure this would work in? i know alpine spec.'s it at 1.9 but i know those #'s are never etched in stone either. can i run this in a 4.1 cu. ft. box or will it be too much? another question i have. if i get the 2ohm model, can i still run it at 2ohms? or is it only 1 ohm or 4 ohm? i've head yes and no to this. or should i just get the dual 4ohm? thanx for any input fellas

Whoever told you that you can run a dual 2 ohm sub at 2 ohms obviously knows nothing about car audio. You cannot run it at 2 ohms. If you want to or have to run 2 ohms what's the issue with just buying the right sub for the job?

As far as the box, I don't know for sure as I am not that advanced in that department. But I really think that it would sound horrible (mind you I don't know for sure). Again, why not get the right tool for the job. Just get or build a box the right size.

Out of curiosity, what type of amp do you have or are you planning on using?

well i'm building a system for my g/f's son. he's getting a ford ranger with ext. cab. we're useing the ext cab for the sub. i'm not stuck on anything as in 2 or 4 ohm sub. i was just thinking a 2 ohm so he could put another one with it later and still have 2ohms. i plan on ordering either a kicker 750.1 or a hifonics 600watt amp. not sure which.

well i'm building a system for my g/f's son. he's getting a ford ranger with ext. cab. we're useing the ext cab for the sub. i'm not stuck on anything as in 2 or 4 ohm sub. i was just thinking a 2 ohm so he could put another one with it later and still have 2ohms. i plan on ordering either a kicker 750.1 or a hifonics 600watt amp. not sure which.
If you plan on putting in 2 eventually you will be way ahead of yourself to just spend a couple extra bucks and buy a 1200 watt or more amp. Check the classifieds, there is an audioque 1200 and an audiopipe 1500. Audioque is better, but the pipe is still pretty good for a budget amp. That's what I have with only 1 10" and it's pretty loud (just not loud enough for me).

yeah that was my original plan cause he's into rap but now we're havin 2nd thoughts on how much he's wanting. i think we're just gonna get the 1243 and run the kicker 750.1. this would be easy if it was my system hell i'd know what i want lol. planning for somebody who's not really sure what they want isn't much of planning. as for your sub, i'm not sure how some guys say they can run over 1000 or so to them. if they do they're either 1. not hitting it hard alot or 2. their amps aren't pushin that full power. an installer told me that this sub has a 900watt thermal (insert brain fart here). so not to put amymore than that to them or they'll blow. so yeah i'll be throwing more than the rms rating of 600 (in our case) at the sub. but to be safe you could run the 1500 @ohm just turn the gain down 1/2 or even a hair less. i know that sub is rated @ 500 so i could see pushing 750 to it. unless you don't mind buying a new one later possibly. at that point youjust might wanna pick up another 1 and run 2 if you can spare the room.

Actually I plan on getting something more sq oriented soon. For now this works for me. I had mine hooked up to that 1500 watt amp at 1 ohm for a bit, but I was only running 8 ga wire, so I know it wasn't doing a whole lot. When I installed the 4 ga I changed the config to 4 ohms and it hits way harder.

I know what you mean about planning for someone else's system. It can be frustrating. I personally like to do all the research I possibly can about the subjsct, and then pick out what I want. I have done that with motorcycles, cars, guns, rock climbing gear, you name it. I don't know how some people can just go to a shop and say "I have $500, load me up" and trust that whatever they are doing will be the best equipment. But hey, that's just me.

ANyway, good luck on your install. It should be fun.

I have to say, I hate to see a thread thats 10yrs old die. Besides I hav never seen a thread go this long haha I wouldn't doubt its the longest drug out thread in the world.

Anyways I got 2 swr-1243D the new series. I also have two mrp 500's that I was going to strap to these. The reson I'm running the mrps is cuz I'm currently running one to my pos 1300 sony's in a shitty pawn shop pre fab box and I bought the other from a friend for cheap.

I also have a crossfire vr1000 that I could run, but from what I've read over and over is that the r's are way under rated, I want to run more power but with my current wiring and charging system I don't think its fesable. What is the max rms I could run on a 100amp alt with 4aug? I want the most out of this w/o buying batt or ho alt.

What do you guy's suggest?

PS yes I'm a newb

I have one 10" hooked up to my ap15001d at 1 ohm with 4 ga. It seems to do pretty well, but I keep the gain at about half. I make sure not to crank it too high because I am just testing it out to make sure it can handle the power.

One of the best things you can do is to make a better box though. I know I am not getting the output I can with mine.

So to answer your question, I would probably use the Crossfire untill you can get something with a little more output. But it will still bang pretty loud without any electrical upgrades. If you see some lights dimming, just do the big 3.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.