The 4th order thread

That should be close to a 148 on 1k, turned it up yet?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

best so far, not bad for less than 500 watts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

That should be close to a 148 on 1k, turned it up yet?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
I could wire to .5... but im enjoying 2 ohms lol. Id try for the b1 record, but the b2 record is quieter lol.

tested more today... couldnt get more than the 145.18, morning it averages 144.5ish, midday and night after its been in the sun all day it meters about a 141.5. really amazing how much the temp of the vehicle matters. but ive got some plans, so hopefully Ill see that 150 by sunday.

I wish I could understand half of what you cats are saying, but I'm learning. I am thinking of building a fourth for a pair of type r's. So I throw some numbers in a program I found on the net and I have some questions. First shouldn't the volume need to be larger then with a ported? The program o only allowed for calculations for one speaker at a time so do I just double the volumes for two? Is a db gain of two or three audibly noticeable, if so how much. For an everyday driver I wanna be able to get the lows nicely (listen to rap) but I also wanna gain as much as I can too. Currently I'm tuned to 32hz and I like it but wondering if it's practical to sacrifice a bit of the low end for some gain. I guess I'm curious how low rap on average gets

. Isn't low 30's rare? also is the functional output of a given port the same regardless of shape as long as the volume is the same?

I wish I could understand half of what you cats are saying, but I'm learning. I am thinking of building a fourth for a pair of type r's. So I throw some numbers in a program I found on the net and I have some questions. First shouldn't the volume need to be larger then with a ported? The program o only allowed for calculations for one speaker at a time so do I just double the volumes for two? Is a db gain of two or three audibly noticeable, if so how much. For an everyday driver I wanna be able to get the lows nicely (listen to rap) but I also wanna gain as much as I can too. Currently I'm tuned to 32hz and I like it but wondering if it's practical to sacrifice a bit of the low end for some gain. I guess I'm curious how low rap on average gets. Isn't low 30's rare? also is the functional output of a given port the same regardless of shape as long as the volume is the same?
forget the program. do the equation to find the Fc of your rear chamber, then multiply that by the ratio that you wish to achieve. a 3db gain is very noticeable. depending on the design of the 4th order, you can dig very low, and be very loud on little power, like my enclosure. and some port shapes are louder than others, but that depends on the application. I would go with a slot port, very easy to do

What ratio would you recommend for my application. I will do the math and figure it out. Will I have to go large then my 4.2cu ported I have now to get the gain I'm looking for or will that depend on what I come up with on my math

What ratio would you recommend for my application. I will do the math and figure it out. Will I have to go large then my 4.2cu ported I have now to get the gain I'm looking for or will that depend on what I come up with on my math
id go with the standard 2:1, and yes it will probably be a tad larger than your enclosure now, gain is really dependent upon design, but some people see a 6+ db gain. but put it this way, I used to run 4 12s in a ported enclosure, and I was doing 145.1 on about 2k, now, im running 2 sa12s, and doing a 145.1 on about 400 watts. lol

id go with the standard 2:1, and yes it will probably be a tad larger than your enclosure now, gain is really dependent upon design, but some people see a 6+ db gain. but put it this way, I used to run 4 12s in a ported enclosure, and I was doing 145.1 on about 2k, now, im running 2 sa12s, and doing a 145.1 on about 400 watts. lol
This post has me wanting to do a 4th order trunk build... even though my rear deck opening makes my trunk into a 6th order of sorts already lol

do it man! my numbers dont lie lol! 4th orders can do some magical things
I may throw some ideas around, I've got about 8 cubes to work with (before any displacements) and this would be about the only way to do a cabin firing build in my car due to the rear deck being so short. Now that I think of it, I may be able to squeeze a little more volume with the front chamber sliding under the rear deck.

Can you think of any higher powered woofers that work well in a 4th order? More likely than not it'll be 2 12s or 1 15 on around 4k - although I'm really not sure how rise effects a 4th order bandpass compared to a regular ported enclosure

I may throw some ideas around, I've got about 8 cubes to work with (before any displacements) and this would be about the only way to do a cabin firing build in my car due to the rear deck being so short. Now that I think of it, I may be able to squeeze a little more volume with the front chamber sliding under the rear deck.
Can you think of any higher powered woofers that work well in a 4th order? More likely than not it'll be 2 12s or 1 15 on around 4k - although I'm really not sure how rise effects a 4th order bandpass compared to a regular ported enclosure
rise is really dependent on ratio... large ratio like mine, equals lots of rise. but rise is actually efficiency. I rise from 2.3 ohms to 8.8 at 33hz. now, if you were to do a 1:1 or a 2:1 you would have less rise. but honestly, id go zv3s, or even sas if you have a 4k amp, because you will never see 4k out of it.

rise is really dependent on ratio... large ratio like mine, equals lots of rise. but rise is actually efficiency. I rise from 2.3 ohms to 8.8 at 33hz. now, if you were to do a 1:1 or a 2:1 you would have less rise. but honestly, id go zv3s, or even sas if you have a 4k amp, because you will never see 4k out of it.
Yeah, when competing a huge ratio would be better because of rise for me (MECA is classified by cone area + fuse rating, could run a tiny fuse with that kind of rise) but I'm not too concerned with competing right now. I'm just tired of being limited to a trunk build and want to switch it up and possibly get louder. Most of my listening is music at full tilt for long periods of time while driving lol

2 Zv3 10s with a huge ratio on a ton of power would absolutely rape everyone else in the trunk class

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.