testing an amp on a power supply..

bobby_7
10+ year member

i got a buddy that has an amp and he is not sure if it is still good, so he wants to test it on this homemade power supply i got. it will put out 20V and i have never pulled more than an amp from it. will the amplifier pull too much current from my power supply and burn it up or does it not pull much current?

if your asking if your power supply will take the current draw from the amp. thats a question you have to answer your self since you built the power supply. there is an amperage rating for the power supply transformer if you accede that rating it will over heat and sooner then later burn the power supply transformer coils. the amount of current that the amp will pull at idle wont be much, but once you raise the volume or the gain it will then start drawing a great amount of current dependent of the material being played.

You can probably turn the amp on but as soon as you play something it will probably blow. I hooked my little 4 channel up to a 10 amp power supply to test it and it worked fine, as soon as I turned on the source the fuse blew.

well his problem is that he can't get the amp to turn on, when in his truck, so he is just gonna take the amp out, hook it up to this, and see if it turns on. if it does, he has a prob with wiring. we aren't going to put any signals or anything thru it, we just wanna turn it on. i just have no idea how much the amp pulls just to turn it on. i dont wanna pull over a couple amps from this supply. i dont have the supply with me right now, so i'll have to check the rating on the transformer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.