TC LMSR weird popping noise.

Somchine13
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I bought this sub from another guy in here a few months ago and just today i decided to pump the back trunk open and let a few friends listen to it and to my surprise there's a weird popping noise. I didn't notice the noise until today since I don't really crank it up. Do any of you guys have any experience with the LMSR and should I just trash it and get something better?

Some of the LMS-R woofers had a bad glue joint around where the cone meets the coil former. From my experience JB weld is outstanding to fix aluminum cone woofers.

Take the sub out of the box and push it gently around with your hands and you'll likely see where something is coming apart. If it's something other than aluminum to aluminum CA glue or "Amazing Goop" may be better, but aluminum to aluminum the JB weld is great. I had a TC sub that I tore the cone on (from bottoming out), slopped some JB weld on it and it's still playing like 4 years later.

Some of the LMS-R woofers had a bad glue joint around where the cone meets the coil former. From my experience JB weld is outstanding to fix aluminum cone woofers.
Take the sub out of the box and push it gently around with your hands and you'll likely see where something is coming apart. If it's something other than aluminum to aluminum CA glue or "Amazing Goop" may be better, but aluminum to aluminum the JB weld is great. I had a TC sub that I tore the cone on (from bottoming out), slopped some JB weld on it and it's still playing like 4 years later.
Thanks

Geez, took a closer look at the sub and found out that the whole spider came loose. What a waste!! Is this fixable? If not then hopefully SPL can build me a new sub with the motor.

Some CA glue (super glue) should square that away. I've also heard guys have good luck with a 2 part epoxy. Easy fix
this should do the job. they sell 2 part epoxy at walmart, lowes, home depot if you're in a rush to get it fixed

just make sure you clamp it down well while its drying

pop the top assembly off

Insert shims. make sure they are short enough to allow the top to sit properly on the motor.

put top back on with shims.

Glue spiders/spacer down.

Let cure 24hrs

then remove top and remove shims.

This is assuming the whole spider came off the lading all around. Similar to a lmsr 12 I got my hands on a last year.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.