Need Help With Sub Problem.

Participant count
  • Participant list

MrFoca

CarAudio.com Veteran
MD
Ok guys. I have a issue that I have never seen before.

Today did a install with a sub I bought off here from a member. Was sold to me as fresh recone D2 coils.

Ok, So did a whole new system today, AQ1200 for the sub, CT sounds amp for the mids. So everything powered on, both amps.

Mids played with no problem, Sub would not play at all. Figured maybe somewhere in the headunit there was a setting for Sub on/off. So there was, Turned subwoofer setting on and sub would have really really low output, like = to 50 watts. Maybe 10 mins total of play time, and gains were not cranked up or nothing stupid like that. Now the fun part.

Trying to problem solve we pulled the sub from the box after every possible issue it could of been was checked, Coils were fried ?? Sub never even moved, gave any output at all.

What could of caused this to happen, I have been into car audio for quite some time now, but never seen anything like this before. How does a fresh sub fry in minutes without even playing ?

Oh and we swaped out the old new sub, with a older Orion, and no issues at all. So I'm lost

Say you wired up one coil positive to amp positive and negative to amp negative and then the other coil positive to amp negative and negative to amp positive, they'd just sit there, fight each other, and fry pretty **** fast.

Could have wired up the coils wrong, if you wire one backwards relative to the other one they will just oppose each other and fry it pretty quick.
Na. I know it was not that. I wired up a different sub and that one plays fine.

Maybe. Or the sub wasn't reconed like told
That too. OP shoulda checked impedance of coils.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Na. I know it was not that. I wired up a different sub and that one plays fine.
That doesn't mean that sub was wired incorrectly first.

That too. OP shoulda checked impedance of coils. 

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

That doesn't mean that sub was wired incorrectly first.
Look, I'm not a Idiot. I know the basic of wiring up subs. Search my name under termpro. I am far from a noob buddy. I understand people can make mistakes, true. but I am a double/ triple check guy. I don't cut corners to save time or money. I just know the sub was wired 100% correct.

Look, I'm not a Idiot. I know the basic of wiring up subs. Search my name under termpro. I am far from a noob buddy. I understand people can make mistakes, true. but I am a double/ triple check guy. I don't cut corners to save time or money. I just know the sub was wired 100% correct.
If you're not a noob, why are you asking this question? Basic troubleshooting would get you an answer.

Check coils

If you're not a noob, why are you asking this question? Basic troubleshooting would get you an answer.
Was asking to see if anyone has ever seen this happen. I understand, yes where I was at today I had no MM to use. Pulled the sub out of the box to check the coils with a MM tomorrow but once I smelled Audio Death, why bother right ?

This is something that I have never seen in any install that I have been around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.