Taramps HD3K Clipping

Participant count
  • Participant list

ANGEGALVAN1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
So i have stock electrical with a 4 guage wire on a hd3k and i have the gains set at half @1 ohm on a skar ddx 10 inch. Before I get roasted I'm planning on going to 0 gauge asap haha. So I had my headunit like 2 notches before full volume and I was playing some decaf 30 hz 35 hz. And I had never seen my amp clip. I had the truck on, and the rpms slightly would go down when the lows hit. Is it because of the gauge of the wire im running? Should I do the big 3 on the alt ? Oh and I'm running on a 150 amp fuse.

When the bass hits, your amp pulls more current. That puts a load on your alternator, and that puts a load on your engine. That's why your engine bogs until the engine can adjust for the load.

When the bass hits, your amp pulls more current. That puts a load on your alternator, and that puts a load on your engine. That's why your engine bogs until the engine can adjust for the load.
Absolutely but does the 4 guage wire have anything to do with it? I heard these amps pull a lot of amperage.

What is your RCA voltage at 2 notches before full volume? Have you checked your headunits clipping point? What is your voltage at?
It doesent happen specifically before full volume. It just depends on the song if its bass heavy or not. The sub was pounding hard but then I heard clipping and looked at the amp clipping led light. I'm not sure about voltage on that. But I am running a pioneer 4100nex so its not a cheap headunit

99% of Taramps amps prefer 2 volt RCA inputs. Your headunit puts out 4 volts at max volume. Headunit could also be sending a clipped signal to the amp at that volume. Alot of headunits clip at different volumes. Very few can go full volume with no clipping.

Is it just the yellow clip light or red as well? Yellow would be a soft clip and red a hard clip.

I would check your battery voltage when full tilt as well.

99% of Taramps amps prefer 2 volt RCA inputs. Your headunit puts out 4 volts at max volume. Headunit could also be sending a clipped signal to the amp at that volume. Alot of headunits clip at different volumes. Very few can go full volume with no clipping.

Is it just the yellow clip light or red as well? Yellow would be a soft clip and red a hard clip.

I would check your battery voltage when full tilt as well.
I got a video here
Looks like it was blinking red. And yeah im going to check the voltage to see what its at full tilt.

Cause someone said that the headunit causes clipping as well
No, not matching proper pre-out voltage causes clipping aka bad gain settings. The gain knob at half is way too high which is why you are clipping. You either lower the gain knob down or lower the sub level or head unit volume. Pick either, its not the head unit causing clipping, its your poor gain settings.

I think op should have installed the appropriate power wires BEFORE posting this thread.

He basically said "i know a potential cause, but don't bring up the potential cause".

Fix the obvious issues before you ask others to find your issues.

I think op should have installed the appropriate power wires BEFORE posting this thread.

He basically said "i know a potential cause, but don't bring up the potential cause".

Fix the obvious issues before you ask others to find your issues.

Okay update installed some cca oversized 0 gauge from skyhigh and my amp was clipping at a 2 ohm load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.