System Interference & Feeback.... Good then Crackling the no sound.

Participant count
  • Participant list

cfowler

When I increase the volume it basically mutes for a few seconds then plays chopped up, glitchy noise, then it's okay then cycles through the crackling etc.

I've run 3 Phoenix Gold Sapphire amps and a 1 Farad Phoenix Gold Capacitor. My head unit is actually a dell venue pro tablet running windows 10. The tablet has an Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 DAC on USB interface handling the sound export then it goes into a Phoenix Gold PLD1 Line Driver with 1 RCA running to the back of the truck. Then I used RCA Y splitters to split three ways to the 3 amps. RCA cables were run on opposite side from the power and ground cables. The remote turn on wire I used was actually an RCA cable cut down which has VERY little copper but it does trigger the amps to power up and they don't seem to cut in/out, the power lights stay on solid. The speakers are Alpine DDDrive DDC-F17A component sets (2 sets) and I'm using the passive Crossover they came with. Each channel is wired into it's own channel on the amps from X/O's.

The Capacitor is run very, very close to the speaker terminals on the amplifier. There is definitely not any bare wire touching the body of the capacitor but the jacket of the cables are definitely touching the underside of the cap. I'm thinking this could be an issue but I'm not certain. I had EXTREMELY tight space limitations. The ground location is very close to the power distribution block as well but certainly no contact. Everything has been heat-shrinked or taped with the exception of the crimp on the ground which I should probably throw some tape on as the heat shrink wouldn't fit over it.

Any suggestions what might cause music playing then having the sound cut off completely when increasing volume on the tablet the coming back crackly and haywire? Could even be an issue with the USB DAC and tablet but I don't think so. I'm afraid it's something with the grounding/wiring/cabling. The RCA leads cmoing off the amp are questionable quality but all I could fit in the tight gaps between amps. The RCA leads coming off the amps actually have a ground wire but they're not in use. The Y splitters going into the single RCA are of high quality and the main RCA between the head unit and the Y splitters is a shielded Phoenix Gold cable.

Ground location is close to the amps and is a proper, clean ground. Main battery lead and main ground are 4 Gauge. Main power lead goes to cap then doubles back to distribution block. Capacitor ground goes back to common ground location.

I've included a few pictures here: http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa245/Christopher379/DSC_2038.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa245/Christopher379/DSC_2040.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa245/Christopher379/DSC_2039.jpg

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.