System Help - Single Sub + Correctly Tuned Box + Amplifier

those LAB enclosures suck dick FYI
Noted. Will stay away. Does the Steve Meade design do any justice?

I Hope Buck pops his head into this thread as that would provide some great insight for this setup. Sounds like he helps everyone out. I would be happy to pay for that. I would have to find someone savvy and who has the tools as I certainly don't.

Here’s SSA recommended boxes with plans. Scroll down and click on pre-designed enclosures.

Sealed enclosures do not automatically mean great sound quality, although most subs will work sealed. some subs do not work as well sealed as they would ported, some don’t work as well ported as they would sealed. I’ve been playing with the Dayton ultimax subs, which definitely prefer sealed over ported, but if I put a subwoofer that is better ported in that same sealed enclosure, it wouldn’t do as well. Ported subs that are meant to be ported in a well designed enclosure can have wonderful sound quality. Best to decide on how much room you have, and wether you’d rather do sealed or ported before you decide on a sub.

Here’s an old thread on here about running an ICON sealed. I’m really not trying to sell you on sealed (ported will sound good as well), I just think you should listen to some folks who actually run them sealed; and not to someone who says “do not go sealed” in all caps with no reasoning as to why not.

Wow, thanks for the responses, everyone. I have never had a sealed box but am seriously leaning towards one now after seeing all the support for this specific sub. I forgot to measure my trunk but will do so after work today and get that on here to determine what size or box would work best. I will post some pictures as well.

I would love to hear the reasoning for why a ported box was suggested so strongly as well if they want to share. Any idea how one of the glue and screw boxes would work with an ICON? Does Buck do something similar where pieces can be mailed for assembly? I can't imagine the number of **** ups I would have with a circular saw, getting pieces right without any prior experience. Not to mention incorporating "polyfill" or anything else I have no idea how is used.. haha.

if ported is too loud you can always dial it back some......sealed you will be disappointed with the lack of output and deep bass especially with just a single sub....you will then try to turn it up louder to get desired output destroying your equipment......do it right the first time TRUST ME!!! i am not saying the Icon cannot be run sealed, but you lose so so so much output going sealed

Buck only designs the subwoofer and sends you the plans. Also since then the specifications have changed on the Icon vs the original ones as well iirc. Also you can have someone like a cabinet making factory or home depot if you trust them and buy the wood from them i.e MDF 3/4". Some of them will cut them to your specifications for a fee. The rules are though that you buy the wood from them so either 3/4" MDF or Real Birch.

And no don't use polyfill it doesn't really do anything. Some have used with they claim some success but I've tried it idk how many times and no change at all. And you don't use it in a ported box at all.

Still think you are better off ported vs sealed. The difference is night and day when comparing the two setups.

The SSA's are good sound quality subs. I am actually not the biggest fan of the Fi Q, but I love Fi overall. Their Neo subs, the 3.5's, look like they'd actually have pretty good SQ, if you have the power.

Here’s an old thread on here about running an ICON sealed. I’m really not trying to sell you on sealed (ported will sound good as well), I just think you should listen to some folks who actually run them sealed; and not to someone who says “do not go sealed” in all caps with no reasoning as to why not.
View attachment 25441
View attachment 25442

I messaged Aaron back and forth and told him why I did less port area than they recommend, ask dude how his box turned out. People don't understand port area, not always.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.