Considering switching my SSA Icon 12 from ported to sealed, enclosure help

I have been running my SSA Icon 12 in the back of my outback in a 2.25 cubic ft ported enclosure. And I'm thinking about saving some space and building a sealed enclosure. Is this a mistake running this sub in a sealed box and if not would anybody be able to help me put together a design.

Thanks a lot.

I don't think those are recommended for sealed. If so, they don't sound too great or so I have read. Might consider another sub for sealed.

I'm not really too concerned with loud, more interested in if it will sound good. In the custom ported box I built it sounds great, tuned to 32hz. Bass heavy stuff, reggae, electronic all sound top notch. Death metal and stuff with tight fast bass drums is where is doesn't excel, but I didn't build that box for that purpose anyway.

So my thinking is with the right designed sealed box, it will tighten up the low end, obviously not as much low freq extension, but still sound good. Am I wrong?

It's been said many times that icon is the best subwoofer ssa made, I am sure in the right sealed box it would give you what you are seeking, ssa have small and optimal seal box recommendation for this sub, #Aaron would be the best person to give you cubic ft recommendation for your particular need or if some one can model it for you.

I was one of those people who ran an Icon sealed. 18" sealed in a Mazda hatch was fun haha. They have sealed box suggestions, and for a 12, I suggest 1.0-1.25 with about 1 lbs. of polyfill. It will lose output, but still have a smooth sound. Plenty of people have run everything from the Xcon down to the Dcon sealed, I am not sure where this sudden up cropping of thinking that our subs cannot be run in a sealed enclosure.

I was one of those people who ran an Icon sealed. 18" sealed in a Mazda hatch was fun haha. They have sealed box suggestions, and for a 12, I suggest 1.0-1.25 with about 1 lbs. of polyfill. It will lose output, but still have a smooth sound. Plenty of people have run everything from the Xcon down to the Dcon sealed, I am not sure where this sudden up cropping of thinking that our subs cannot be run in a sealed enclosure.
Thanks for the informed reply. Where can I get a cut sheet for those suggested parameters? Also should I mount the sub upward firing like my ported enclosure or towards the rear of the vehicle?

Thanks for the informed reply. Where can I get a cut sheet for those suggested parameters? Also should I mount the sub upward firing like my ported enclosure or towards the rear of the vehicle?
Depends on the vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.