System Help - Single Sub + Correctly Tuned Box + Amplifier

Marve_Lous

CarAudio.com Well Known
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
Here’s SSA recommended boxes with plans. Scroll down and click on pre-designed enclosures.

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Veteran
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
Sealed enclosures do not automatically mean great sound quality, although most subs will work sealed. some subs do not work as well sealed as they would ported, some don’t work as well ported as they would sealed. I’ve been playing with the Dayton ultimax subs, which definitely prefer sealed over ported, but if I put a subwoofer that is better ported in that same sealed enclosure, it wouldn’t do as well. Ported subs that are meant to be ported in a well designed enclosure can have wonderful sound quality. Best to decide on how much room you have, and wether you’d rather do sealed or ported before you decide on a sub.

Marve_Lous

CarAudio.com Well Known
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
Here’s an old thread on here about running an ICON sealed. I’m really not trying to sell you on sealed (ported will sound good as well), I just think you should listen to some folks who actually run them sealed; and not to someone who says “do not go sealed” in all caps with no reasoning as to why not.

vraspo

Jun 1, 2018
USA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, thanks for the responses, everyone. I have never had a sealed box but am seriously leaning towards one now after seeing all the support for this specific sub. I forgot to measure my trunk but will do so after work today and get that on here to determine what size or box would work best. I will post some pictures as well.

I would love to hear the reasoning for why a ported box was suggested so strongly as well if they want to share. Any idea how one of the glue and screw boxes would work with an ICON? Does Buck do something similar where pieces can be mailed for assembly? I can't imagine the number of **** ups I would have with a circular saw, getting pieces right without any prior experience. Not to mention incorporating "polyfill" or anything else I have no idea how is used.. haha.

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
if ported is too loud you can always dial it back some......sealed you will be disappointed with the lack of output and deep bass especially with just a single sub....you will then try to turn it up louder to get desired output destroying your equipment......do it right the first time TRUST ME!!! i am not saying the Icon cannot be run sealed, but you lose so so so much output going sealed

Reactions: Coolhand20th

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Buck only designs the subwoofer and sends you the plans. Also since then the specifications have changed on the Icon vs the original ones as well iirc. Also you can have someone like a cabinet making factory or home depot if you trust them and buy the wood from them i.e MDF 3/4". Some of them will cut them to your specifications for a fee. The rules are though that you buy the wood from them so either 3/4" MDF or Real Birch.

And no don't use polyfill it doesn't really do anything. Some have used with they claim some success but I've tried it idk how many times and no change at all. And you don't use it in a ported box at all.

Still think you are better off ported vs sealed. The difference is night and day when comparing the two setups.

Reactions: JRsmoothee

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
ported vs sealed.....GO!

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
The SSA's are good sound quality subs. I am actually not the biggest fan of the Fi Q, but I love Fi overall. Their Neo subs, the 3.5's, look like they'd actually have pretty good SQ, if you have the power.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Here’s an old thread on here about running an ICON sealed. I’m really not trying to sell you on sealed (ported will sound good as well), I just think you should listen to some folks who actually run them sealed; and not to someone who says “do not go sealed” in all caps with no reasoning as to why not.
View attachment 25441
View attachment 25442
I messaged Aaron back and forth and told him why I did less port area than they recommend, ask dude how his box turned out. People don't understand port area, not always.

Marve_Lous

CarAudio.com Well Known
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
I messaged Aaron back and forth and told him why I did less port area than they recommend, ask dude how his box turned out. People don't understand port area, not always.
Yeah, your port area on mine turned out great. I’m glad I just let you design it how you wanted and I just built it.
Unfortunately, “loudness” is subjective so OP wouldn’t truly know what he’d prefer unless he heard each box for himself.

Last edited:

vraspo

Jun 1, 2018
USA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like the guy who was calling people idiots has been removed from the forums as his posts aren't here anymore. I am definitely taking into consideration all that you are telling me and may just end up going the ported route so I can fine-tune it later as I really don't want to end up disappointed in the end. I am a big fan of Funktion One PA sound systems and their live sound is all ported so I am looking to replicate that as much as possible.

I appreciate suggesting the material types and where to get it done, I would either go to Home Depot or find someone here local in Florida that could do it. I would be down for the pieces to be cut to specification so I could just glue and screw. I just would not have a fun time cutting circular pieces out and feel that would drive my OCD insane.

@Buck I think I will stick with the SSA ICON. I was considering the ZCON, but was reading that the ICON typically has better SQ results and it fits more within my budget anyways since I don't plan on doing any competitions - just for pure enjoyment. How do the FI NEO subs compare against SSA? And maybe you could DM me what you would charge for a design? I can get whatever details or specs you need. You're located in Florida?

@Marve_Lous I really appreciate all the solid input. Thank you, brother.

Reactions: Marve_Lous

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds