System for my girlfriend, pics

sundownz
Pro Seller

Supporting Vendor
North Carolina
Just got the sub box done for my girlfriends car. It's a 6th order bandpass for a single SI BM 10" subwoofer with the following specs:

Chamber 1: 0.75 ft^3 tuned @ 48 Hz

Chamber 2: 0.65 ft^3 tuned @ 75 Hz

Her system consists of the following elsewhere:

* JVC Head Unit (low-end unit I had laying around, works great)

* Audax 5.25" Coaxials up front (CH 1+2 on 100.4, 80Hz high pass active @ 12dB per octave)

* Dayton ND20FB-4 3/4" Tweeter up front (HU Power, 6kHz HP passive crossover @ 6 dB per octave)

* Tang-Band W2-880SC 2" in the back (CH 1+2 on 100.4, 1hz HP passive crossover @ 6dB per octave)

Overall it sounds great. She wanted alot of highs so I added the extra tweeters up front... and she likes rear fill hence the Tang-Bands in the back. I removed the factory rear speakers to allow more air flow into the cabin and made a sort of AP membrane behind the TB 2" using some ED V4 Teklite foam.

The 6th order box sounds quite good on her music; reggaeton, rap, R&B, etc. I haven't done any real hard listening tests yet but I will say I was very suprised with the low-end extension and the transient response on what I heard... I'm used to bandpass boxes sounding terrible. The BM series has proven itself very friendly to any vented alignment in my experience so far.

The suprise of the day was this... the 100.4 is powering the SI BM 10" wired in parallel. STOP RIGHT THERE... don't go wiring your 100.2 or 100.4 @ 2 ohms... I did this because in my box the nominal load is darn near 4 ohms in reality. You can try it... but it's not under warranty. I can do it because I do what I want *laughs*

----------

Mustang_Box_Unfinished.jpg

* The box is nearing completion. 3/4"MDF construction except the speaker baffle where I used 3/4" birch plywood for strength.

Mustang_Box_Spkr_Wire.jpg

* Speaker wire tie-wrapped tight onto small bracket on BM basket to avoid any wire rattling.

Mustang_Box_Small_Port.jpg

* This is the side tuned to 75 Hz, approx 6.5" long. No pics inside of the other side due to the way we assembled the box. That port has a 90 degree elbow and a 6" piece of PVC inserted into that, approx 17" long total.

You can see that I glued an MDF disc to the wall and glued to port to that... this is so the port doesn't rattle. On the other side I hot glued the bottom of the elbow to the bottom of the box (it touches) to prevent rattling.

Mustang_Box_In_Trunk.jpg

* Box in the car. I had to re-build the whole floor in this trunk out of a sheet of MDF... I sized the box so that if you slide it sideways you can take the cover off the floor and access the spare tire well. The box *cannot* be removed from the trunk -- we had to take off the trunk latch to get it in... it fits with great effort even with that out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Security system? I think so.

Mustang_1004_and_Box.jpg

* Wiring is mostly hidden when seat folds up. Left extra to allow for folding the seat down.

Mustang_Rear_Deck_V4.jpg

* Edead V4 under the TB speakers... this makes a quasi-enclosure behind them and keeps some of the pressure generated by the woofer away from them.

Mustang_Dayton.jpg

* Dayton Tweets up front.

Mustang_Tang_Band.jpg

* TBs in the rear.

I forgot to take a picture of the Audax speakers mounted... they are mounting using a custom 3/4" Birch plywood bracket modelled after the factory speaker mount... sealed to the door with hot glue.

The box will be secured and finished at a later date... I will probably also trim down the part of the longer port that sticks out as that will only change tuning around 1 - 2 Hz or so.

As of now the box cannot move very far and cannot hit the amplifier so it's okay until I figure out a good, and quickly removeable (for spare tire well access) way to secure it. I allowed enough speaker wire that it cannot pull out the wire if it moves around for now... and with a 6th order nothing can hit the cone.

Is the box secured in some way to keep it from sliding around?
As I mentioned in the notes under the pictures it currently is not secured. It can't move very far and can't hit the amp... there is also enough wire that it can't be pulled out of the amp. I've got a few things I'm going to try... it needs to be easily moveable to access the spare tire compartment.

----

... and I'm not about to post pictures of my girlfriend here, sorry fellas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As I mentioned in the notes under the pictures it currently is not secured. It can't move very far and can't hit the amp... there is also enough wire that it can't be pulled out of the amp. I've got a few things I'm going to try... it needs to be easily moveable to access the spare tire compartment.
----

... and I'm not about to post pictures of my girlfriend here, sorry fellas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
cover the face //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

----

You must be ashamed to show her off. So I'm guessing she's not.... well you know.

*laughs*

I'd rather not post up photos on a public forum unless she says it's okay, which I doubt. Just a matter of privacy.

Anyway... back on topic. We drove the car about an hour today and jammed on it as loud as the HU will go before clipping... the 100.4 never shut down or showed any signs of irregular behavior.

Just curious how much stronger and lighter did you notice the birch versus the mdf. Is there really a noticeable difference between the two in you hands?

Just curious how much stronger and lighter did you notice the birch versus the mdf. Is there really a noticeable difference between the two in you hands?
Absolutely. Birch is roughly 3 times more rigid than MDF (real figure) and just by me guessing... probably 1/2 or less the weight. The only disadvantage is the fact that it is light, therefore it has a higher resonance so it's not as good for midrange cabinets -- the density of MDF really puts it ahead there. For sub boxes... it's great and I use it on a regular basis when cost is not a concern.

I wish I was your girlfriend, I would then get free amps and SI speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. Are you having any problems with her, if so send me a pm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

I wish I was your girlfriend, I would then get free amps and SI speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. Are you having any problems with her, if so send me a pm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.
Haha. Sorry. Actually I am having no problems with her, she cooks and cleans, and isn't a drama queen... so she's here to stay. Maybe it is because she's not American *laughs* No luck with American girls on my end, so I gave up on them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.